Sir Andrew Davis dies 20th April

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 21 April 2024, 19:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I'm sorry to report the passing yesterday (20th April) of Andrew Davis who went to my school in Watford, although he was ten years older than me so I never met him. He was one of a number of distinguished musicians that the school produced, including Adrian Leaper (French horn and conductor) and Michael (Mick) Thompson (also a French horn player). My violin teacher was a Pole named Stefan Fragner who had been a prisoner-of-war in WW2 and was a very fine player. It was quite an era for music - although I never figured as a musician myself!

tappell

That is sad news. Sir Andrew Davis has always been my go to conductor for Elgar, after I purchased and grew to love, his 5 cd box set with the BBC Symphony Orchestra, now on Warner. I also have a treasured DVD of Sir Andrew Davis conducting the Enigma Variations, and explaining and referencing each variation. A sad loss.

eschiss1

How's the Holst series he did for Chandos, with such underrecorded works as the Choral Symphony e.g.?
(I'm going to go listen to his premiere of a symphony by R Simpson, a work I've heard under other hands. Would that more fine conductors -now- cared about great unsung music.)

semloh

Much loved in Australia, of course, as Chief Conductor and subsequently Conductor Laureate of the Melbourne SO, and as a champion of Grainger (whom we claim as our own!). Sadly missed.