News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Pejacevic from cpo

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 01 March 2011, 18:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

There's usually a couple of months before new cpo releases come out here.

Tartini

Yes, it is really a strong piece. Very original. Sometimes it reminds me of a composer from my country, Ture Rangström, with the mix of expressionistic romanticism and some folk tune. Apparently there is no end to new discoveries. And thanks for that!

eschiss1

I have heard much less Pejacevic than Rangstrom so far (all 4 symphonies and a few other works in the latter case, though not yet I think any of the songs that I am told are worth keeping an ear out for!) but can only agree strongly, yes indeed.

Mark Thomas

I don't think that the recent cpo release of Pejacevic's Piano Trio op.29 and Cello Sonata op.35 was reported here - full details and sound bites here. My word, what rewarding music this is, emphasising (if there was any need to) what a fine, confident composer Pejacevic was. OK, both works are maybe a little retro for the early 20th century  but they are brim full of good ideas. The slightly earlier Trio is a happy, sunny piece whilst, as you might expect, the Cello Sonata is rather darker in atmosphere but comes to a sparkling close.

Thoroughly recommended.

Christopher

Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 02 March 2011, 01:45
There is a piano concerto in G minor (which has been recorded) (her op.33 of 1913) - apparently her discography, though mostly limited to small labels indeed, is larger than I realize. String quartet in C op58 (1922) on Croatia Records CD from 2003, a 4 CD FrauenMusikForum Schweiz set from 2002 with the piano quintet, piano concerto, cello sonata op.35, songs and some piano works; 2nd violin (viola? don't understand the words "violinu i glasovir" ) sonata op.43 (1917) on another Croatia Records CD; another recording with a violin sonata in D major op.26;   probably others...

Are there any Croatian (or Serbian...) speakers on here who can identify where on the website of Croatian Records is this 4 CD set with her piano concerto?  www.crorec.hr ...

PS - "glasovir" means piano.

Alan Howe

This CD should not be uploaded here.

eschiss1

if a station plans to broadcast it i'd like to hear about it (especially now that radiowavetuner.com is indefinitely down and can't be used to search for it in advance :( ) apparently btw an earlier CD, though on a local Croatian label, had the same coupling as the cpo recording of the symphony and the phantasie, and was broadcast in full by Concertzender in 2004 (this was before their days of archiving for rebroadcast which seem to have started in late 2006 or so, so one notes this instead of pointing it out as something that can now be heard at the Concertzender site as would be the case if it had been that much more recent. though some of those archive links aren't always pointing to concerts of what they claim to be anyways, but erm, no one's perfect.)

Gareth Vaughan

I wonder if CPO plans to record the PC. I have seen the score and it is a fine work, IMHO.

eschiss1

hrm. The pianist of the symphony recording (Banfield who's recorded quite a lot for cpo) has a big website with many downloads of interviews he's given etc. - perhaps someone who knows German better than I do, which would be about anyone, might go through them and see if he mentions his plans for future recordings with cpo in any of them :)

hrm. otoh, though this has nothing to do with cpo probably, Hans Joerg Fink's website mentions the Pejacevic concerto among "enregistrements pour radio"... - still, it's another pianist who knows the concerto they could tap. I haven't heard it yet myself... getting more curious though. :)

britishcomposer

Eric, I have just written to Volker Banfield. I'll keep you informed.

britishcomposer

Here is Prof. Banfield's quite extensive answer to my email. This is an automatic translation, slightly shortened and edited by me. Blame me for any remaining awkwardness, not Volker Banfield! ;)

'To answer your question: at the beginning of the Pejacevic project there were detailed discussions with the cpo music chief and this combination was selected after some back and forth. I then found that the piano concerto is very conventional and not so interesting as the Fantasy. Dora has indeed started very naively and only gradually found her personal style, a natural evolution, which unfortunately was cut short by her early death. As far as the piano sonatas are concerned there is a similar analogy; I had selected for possible inclusion only the last sonata (which did not fit but on the CD). You will forgive me that I am no 'catalogue pianist', who records everything without a critical view. I also believe that one doesn't do composers always a favor, if one presents less successful works to the public.

CD productions (especially with an orchestra) are very complex and expensive and we will wait and see how this first CD catches on and is sold. The last word in my view is therefore not yet spoken. But keep in mind that the Piano Concerto fills no CD and it would therefore be necessary to discuss more works for inclusion. I will soon meet with the cpo music chief to discuss possible future projects.

Finally, I would like to point you to a CD with older ARD recordings, which was produced one and a half years ago by Venus (unfortunately now bankrupt). http://www.banfield.de/html/disco/frame.html.

With best regards,
Volker Banfield'

britishcomposer

Just received an email from Andreas Zadeyan, owner of RE NOVA CLASSICS.
The recording, containing the Piano Concertos by Dora Pejacevic and Germaine Tailleferre is available directly from him. (RE NOVA CLASSICS RNC 990909)
Please email him, if you would like to order.

office@renovaclassics.com

He accepts PayPal. The CD costs 29 Euros incl taxes and postage.

jerfilm

Thanks for the tip, BC.  But I tried that website and received the message that I was FORBIDDEN from accessing it.   It's probably just as well - at 29 Euros = US$ $41.58 I don't even want to be tempted.  Our local politicians have recently made it very expensive to buy things outside the USA......

Jerry

britishcomposer

Which website do you mean, Jerry? The one by Volker Banfield?
Or did you have problems with the email address by Andreas Zadeyan?

jerfilm

Oh, my mistake I think.  It's an email address and not a URL.  I tried the www.renovaclassics.com and got the same forbidden message.  No matter, I won't pay over $40 for a CD anyway.  Thanks.

Jerry