Nordic Music Broadcasts?

Started by Dylan, Sunday 20 March 2011, 20:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylan

Chatting to Albion a while ago about the invaluable British Music Broadcasts series, I mentioned that I wished someone would do the same for Scandinavian music - another enthusiasm.  Bu definition I don't have a lot - only odd BBC broadcasts - and I've still a lot of UK music to digitize and load. But if we have any Scandinavian members, perhaps they'd be in a position to help by starting a small thread with some home-grown examples..?

Amphissa

I'm not Scandinavian, but I have some broadcast performances of Tubin, Kapp, Svendsen, Rautavaara and others in digital format. But I don't have a mediafire account to upload to.

albion

If you're not dealing in bulk, just register for a free basic account (the only restriction is that files must be limited to less than 200MB) - honestly, it's quite straightforward once you get the hang of it!  :)

eschiss1

well, someone did send me once a tape of the old mono LP of Holmboe's oboe quintet Musik til Morten - not Romantic (though tonal, jolly and good-sounding - in good sound which this wasn't), but- several rounds out of combat for this forum I think...

M. Henriksen

I wish I could come bursting in and say "I have a large archive of Norwegian broadcasts!". Sadly I don't. I think I would need good instructions if I should start up the "Norwegian Music Broadcast Series", because I've no experience in this business.
Help needed!

Morten

eschiss1

Nordic means Scandinavian in general (and actually is perhaps much more general than that, I believe- I think it really means 'of the Northern'...) - Norwegian is much more specific.

M. Henriksen

Just to make it clear:

Scandinavia is a geographical region which includes Norway, Sweden and Denmark. These three countries are very close historically, culturally and socially.

The Nordic countries (Norden) are Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland and the autonomous regions Ă…land, Greenland and the Faroe Islands.

Morten

Amphissa

Being a crude, ignorant, culturally and politically incorrect American, I would also include Estonia. Yes, I know it is technically a Baltic country. However, the Estonian language is more closely related to Finnish, and being so close to Finland, I tend to include it in the Nordic group even though I know it is not technically a Nordic country.

Plus, Estonia has a great music culture -- much more so than Latvia or Lithuania. Even today, lots of fine conductors and musicians come from Estonia.

If I have offended some of our Nordic members, well, you can insult me all you want in return.

I'm still thinking about whether to open an account. I'm really stretched thin on time right now, but this is an interest or mine.

JimL

I actually think of Scandinavia as more of a linguistic/cultural grouping rather than a geographical one.  I hesitate to think of Denmark as being all that geographically connected to Norway and Sweden, being, as it were, on the other side of the Baltic Sea.  But all three nations have very similar Teutonic languages, whereas, as has been pointed out by David, Finland and Estonia share linguistic roots with both Magyar, and, believe it or not, Korean.

eschiss1

... well... Denmark, Germany and Sweden have had - flexible borders over time, I guess -
Eric