What symphony can you not live without?

Started by John H White, Tuesday 08 March 2011, 17:23

Previous topic - Next topic

John H White

That's what Rob Cowan has been asking listeners to his 3 Breakfast programme on BBC Radio 3 this week. So please get in quickly with your choice, e-mailing it to 3breakfast@bbc.co.uk. I went for Lachner 5, with Lachner 8 and Rufinatscha 6 as 2nd and 3rd choices but, so far, he seems to have ignored my e-mail.

eschiss1

... probably Beethoven 9 or Mahler 6 *gets thrown out of forum after being made to walk the plank* (though Stenhammar 2 would be somewhere on a high list...) (on re-thinking and cheating by editing, and regretting that the question isn't about quartets - my two favorite works being for that medium - no, still too difficult... there are so many wonderful ones I would miss terribly - Wellesz 2, Myaskovsky 2, Sibelius 3 4 6 7, Brian 31, Mahler 4&9 too of course, to start or continue, in probably the wrong order, a too-long list. one? no wonder my cd-cases were always so large before I got an iPod. anyway. :) )

Jonathan

Alkan's for solo piano would get my vote!

dafrieze

Schumann's 2nd - or 3rd.  Depends on my mood.

jerfilm

Mahler 7 and Bruckner 9.  Of the unsungs, I'm still partial to Alfred Hill's Symhony #2 in Eb - The Joy of Life......

Maybe I'm a lightweight......

Jerry

JimL

Bruckner 5.  No, wait!  Dvorak 6! 

OK.  For unsungs, Rufinatscha 6 beyond a shadow of a doubt!

alberto

Beethoven 6, Schubert Unfinished.
Unsung : Dukas.

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Draeseke 3. Because of its synthesis of progressive New German ideas and idiom with traditional notions of the symphony as the supreme musical form.
Sung: Brahms 1. Because of its utterly triumphant use of conservative ideas in an utterly fresh and inspiring way.

John H White

I trust, gentlemen, that you have all e-mailed 3breakfast@bbc.co.uk and registered your choices with Rob Cowan.

Pengelli

Havergal Brian's 'Gothic Symphony' with Boult or Schmidt conducting, (not the nasty Naxos!)
Well,life would have been allot duller without it!
Vaughan Wiliams: his 'London' or 'Fifth' with Barbirolli at the helm,but I'm afraid I can't decide which. They're both indispensable.

Syrelius

jksteven

I am hard pressed on this topic, but I am particularly engulfed by Bruckner's 6th when I hear it. Of all symphonies, however, I have grown very weary of Tchaikovsky's 6th. Way overplayed, beat to death.

jksteven

Mark Thomas