What symphony can you not live without?

Started by John H White, Tuesday 08 March 2011, 17:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Moss

Out of all the hundreds (or even thousands) of works we each (i.e. all of us, this is not a royal 'we') have heard, many of which we have only recently been aware of through the marvellous efforts  of those who bring us the jewels of UC, one work always pops to the top of my 'desert island' list - Brahms Symphony No. 3.

Not an unsung, not an extensive work, not a lot of angst etc behind it, but beautifully crafted, very deeply romantic and lushly orchestrated and one of the few pieces I stop what I'm doing and listen to - not just have it playing while I'm doing other jobs.  If it was the last symphony I could ever hear, so be it.

Just a thought for today

Richard

eschiss1

I tend to agree. Prefer that to a high "E" - or to many other things, too (it'd tie with a few others. Used to hum a lot of the opening movement to myself just because, especially years ago.

In my honest opinion one of the most impassioned things I know from a supposedly (but not really) "cold"/"dry" composer.

Gauk

I do feel these questions are rather silly. What - are you going to keel over and die if deprived of the nominated work? Similarly I'm irritated by magazine articles along the lines of "ten DVDs you MUST buy". Well, invariably I have bought none of them and feel none the worse off.

Alan Howe

Quote from: Gauk on Monday 13 May 2013, 18:18
I do feel these questions are rather silly.

Well, nobody's forcing you to respond here...

In any case, I for one know I'd feel bereft without, say, Draeseke 3. Or either of Rufinatscha's last two symphonies. Or any of Raff 2-5. And if anyone picked up on my enthusiasm for these unsung masterpieces, then I'd feel extremely gratified...

Mark Thomas

Personally, I'm always interested in someone's enthusiastic advocacy of a piece of music, provided it comes complete with some reasons for their enthusiasm.

Gauk

Then I would rather put it "what symphony means the most to you emotionally?", which is a precise question. There are very few things in life one cannot live without - food, shelter, etc.

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

The question, of course, is meant figuratively. Hence any objection to it on practical grounds is to miss the point entirely.

eschiss1

ok, now people're giving me impressions of a reverse Clockwork Orange setup (crossed with detail from the late Jack Chalker). You must hear Gade 7 once every 24 hours or this enzyme will fail to be uploaded into your cerebral cortex...

Hush, Eric.

Mark Thomas

Quoteany objection to it on practical grounds is to miss the point entirely.
I'll spring to Gauk's defence here, Alan. The point of the question in the topic's title is obvious, of course, and not one to be missunderstood. There is though this modern tendency to over-inflate needs/wants/desires to absolute necessities: "Ten books you must read before you die" etc. It's needless hyperbole, and that's the point that Gauk, and I, are making. Anyway, this has nothing to do with music generally or the question in the title of this topic, however John framed it, and I suggest that we move on, please.

Alan Howe

Agreed. Needless - and mindless - hyperbole is everywhere in our society today. I just didn't think that applied to this rather interesting thread. What differentiates this thread from the hyperbolic listings all around us is interesting reasoning and argumentation. Let's return to that...

JimL

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 14 May 2013, 08:27
ok, now people're giving me impressions of a reverse Clockwork Orange setup (crossed with detail from the late Jack Chalker). You must hear Gade 7 once every 24 hours or this enzyme will fail to be uploaded into your cerebral cortex...

Hush, Eric.
Loved Web of the Chozen and the Well of Souls series.

Maybe I should give Gade 7 a whirl...

;)

Alan Howe

Erm, yes. Meanwhile back on Planet Indispensable Symphony...