What symphony can you not live without?

Started by John H White, Tuesday 08 March 2011, 17:23

Previous topic - Next topic

mbhaub

Just one? Well, Elgar 2nd it would have to be, with deep regrets to Mahler 7, Tchaikovsky Manfred, Bloch C sharp minor, Schmidt 4, Sibelius 7, Balakirev 1, Glazunov 4, Vaughan Williams 2, Bax 3, Rachmaninoff 2, Raff 3, and Kalinnikov 1.

kolaboy

Gareth Vaughan

Sorry to be boring, guys, but for me it has to be Beethoven's 3rd - the "Eroica".  It's virtually the first truly 'Romantic' symphony; it all starts from there (Romanticism in music, I mean) - and it's a work of pure and radiant genius. Never has the bare triad of E flat major been more melodically eloquent than in the opening bars. The whole work is truly heroic.

And after that it would have to be either Elgar's 1st or Vaughan-Williams' 2nd (the "London"), for similar reasons in that they seem to mark a real gear shift into the modern symphony, an attempt to address the disillusionment of the new century and make sense of the human condition. Whereas Beethoven's is a confident affirmation of optimism born out of aspiration and struggle, the two English men meet despair head on and turn it into a courageous realism.

eschiss1

not a boring answer at all, a very good one I say...

DaveF

Another London symphony for me - Haydn 104.

DF

oldman

eschiss1

then there's the parallel question for, say, piano concertos (not joking, esp. in regards a slightly earlier composer than we incline to talk about, Mozart, whose piano concertos- almost all of them- are on a much more even level of general inspiration, genius and excellence than his symphonies, where less than 6 are really lasting works...)

Peter1953

jimmattt

Taneyev No. 2, Beethoven No. 5, top two of 1,000,000

Rainolf

Maybee this thread is the best place for my first posting in this forum.

My favourite unsung symphonies are: Draeseke's "Tragica", Taneyev's Fourth, Pfitzner's op. 36a, Hausegger's "Nature Symphony", Furtwängler's Second, Rubbra's First, Mennin's Seventh and the symphonies of Robert Simpson (especially No. 7 and 9)

Of sung symphonies there are the works of Beethoven (especially No. 2 and 3, and the first two movements of the Ninth) and Bruckner (especially No. 1 and 9, the latter my all time favourite piece of music), which I like most.

reineckeforever

sung...Bruckner 7th and Schubert 9th "The great"
unsung...Rott symphony in E major...Bax 4th

Alan Howe

...oh, and Georg Schumann's 1st Symphony. Glorious, Brahmsian music from a blossoming young composer. Utterly memorable and packed full of tunes and vigorous writing. 

fuhred

Sung: Tchaikovsky Manfred Symphony
Unsung: Glazunov No.6

Latvian

mahler10th

Hans Rott  -  Only one symphony available, Symphony in E Major.  I CANNOT live without it.