What symphony can you not live without?

Started by John H White, Tuesday 08 March 2011, 17:23

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Quote from: mahler10th on Thursday 20 October 2011, 19:14
Hans Rott  -  Only one symphony available, Symphony in E Major.  I CANNOT live without it.
...and I thought ot would have been Mahler's 10th, mahler10th! ;D

jerfilm

I think the Bruno Walter Bruckner 9th might be my all time favorite.  Altho all of Mahler would be hard to live without. Unsung would be one of Wetz's.....

Jerry

ArturPS

Any Beethoven, most Schubert (I've written a new orchestration for the 10th, and it figures there now as well, his themes are just impossibly beautiful), late Haydn (I love them all, but anything post-80 will brightens even the darkest of days), most Bruckner, Brahms'. For the unsung, Ries 4th, Kalliwoda's (do I have to pick one?), Czerny's 1st, Vorsicek's, Lachner's 5th, Gade's 1st.
And I still haven't heard Rufinatscha's :(

lechner1110

Sung: Mahler no.3, no.5, no.7 , Bruckner no.7 , Mendelsshon's Reformation sinfonie, Vaughn williams no.5 ,
            Shostakovich no.11 , Rachmaninov no.2 , Copland no.3   ....Plus, Zemlinsky's Die seejungfrau (My favorite)

Unsung: Hans Rott Symphony in E Major , Franz Schmidt no.2 , Qunihiko Hashimoto no.1 , S.Gadzhibekov no.2 ,
               Georg Schumann's symphony ( And his Handel Variation!) , Vermeulen no.1 , Meulemans no.7
               Sulek no.2 ,  Braga-Santos no.4 , Perpessa Christus Symphony, and STRÄßER's no.2

Too much! ???

Atsuhi

eschiss1

Georg Schumann wrote two symphonies- which? There's a B minor early one and a later published one (F minor, opus 42, 1905).

ArturPS

Quote from: A.S on Friday 21 October 2011, 15:03
  Sung: Mahler no.3, no.5, no.7 , Bruckner no.7 , Mendelsshon's Reformation sinfonie, Vaughn williams no.5 ,
            Shostakovich no.11 , Rachmaninov no.2 , Copland no.3   ....Plus, Zemlinsky's Die seejungfrau (My favorite)

Unsung: Hans Rott Symphony in E Major , Franz Schmidt no.2 , Qunihiko Hashimoto no.1 , S.Gadzhibekov no.2 ,
               Georg Schumann's symphony ( And his Handel Variation!) , Vermeulen no.1 , Meulemans no.7
               Sulek no.3 ,  Perpessa Christus Symphony, and STRÄßER's no.2

Too much! ???

Atsuhi
Oops! reminds me to add the Scottisch (Mendelssohn) to my list. Yours isn't too much, imo :D

chill319

Could someone recommend a source for the Georg Schumann symphony in f? I don't see mention of a commercial recording on the Georg Schumann Gesellschaft site.

eschiss1

I know of no recording (well, yet at least). It was published by FEC Leuckart, Leipzig, around 1905, several large libraries have a copy of the complete score I think. (So unless someone's made a MIDI of the F minor, I'm guessing they probably mean the early B minor work. Wouldn't mind seeing a recording of the later one, of course.)

Mark Thomas

Georg Schumann's B minor Symphony has been broadcast and the recording is available from this site in this thread.

BFerrell

Prokofiev 6th, Moeran 1st, Bax 6th, Sibelius 4 through 7, Klami 1st, Kokkonen 3 and 4, Shostakovich 4th, Walton 1st, Rubbra 6th, that's just off the top of my head.

Alan Howe

Lionel Harrsion

JimL

I forget which symphony I picked (Dvorak 6th?) but having just downloaded the Berwald 3 (which I hadn't heard for some years in its entirety) I may be having a "Singuliere" conversion experience!

eschiss1

so long as it has a substantial part with highlighted solo oboe and is conducted by Beecham.