Théodore Dubois Violin Concerto

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 20 March 2011, 18:14

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 26 March 2011, 14:27
This is a work which is both immediately attractive and yet also has enough substance to reward careful listening. I would certainly recommend it to any lover of substantial Romantic VCs (rather than of fripperies written by composer-violinists).
Fripperies?  Composer-violinists like Spohr, Joachim, David, and Vieuxtemps?  I'll grant you your Ernsts, DeBeriots and Rodes, and maybe toss in Wieniawski, but not these.  David may be a tad lightweight, but, IMHO still estimable as a composer.

Alan Howe

I think we all know the difference between proper composers of VCs and the Ernsts of this world. I'll leave it up to others where to draw the line...

That said, there's far too much unexplored repertoire by good composers that's being ignored while music notable for little more than historical reasons is being committed to CD. We've listed the VCs that need recording before: all I'm saying here is: thank goodness for labels like BNL, otherwise we wouldn't have worthwhile pieces like the Dubois on disc at all.

jimmattt

Thanks to Mark for the Itunes tip, the Dubois alone seems well worth the $10 to me, I usually know I have spent my money wisely when I want to listen to my new acquisition again as soon as it's done, and again... I also like his masses and organ and orchestra music a lot.

eschiss1

Re the Dubois violin concerto that started this thread ways back, the score and all parts- multiplied parts, enough for a large full orchestra without use of an anachronistic photocopier *g* - have been uploaded to BSB (Bavarian Library) (814 pages... 103 pages of score, etc.)

Alan Howe

And now cpo are bringing out a new recording, coupled with the composer's Violin Sonata. The soloist is the brilliant Ingolf Turban:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/theodore-dubois-violinkonzert/hnum/8704776

Ilja

Hi everyone, an interesting release this month by CPO, with Dubois' concerto as the highlight, played by Ingolf Turban and Lukas Maria Kuen, with the Deutsche Radio Philharmonie Saarbrücken Kaiserslautern under Raoul Grüneis: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/theodore-dubois-violinkonzert/hnum/8704776

From the blurb: "We are now releasing three of his violin compositions, which, by contrast, have been neglected and wrongly forgotten by posterity. His Violin Concerto was dedicated to none other than the violin legend Eugène Ysaÿe. The quality of this work is manifested most impressively in the Adagio middle movement in the form a long-drawn-out melody with a mighty amplitude; the deepest depths are fathomed with big sound, and iridescent heights are scaled. Here the whole individual value of French violin culture is revealed. And his only Sonata for Violin and Piano also contains the name of a great virtuoso in its dedication – Henri Marteau – and was composed to order for him."

Alan Howe

Thanks, Ilja. I have merged your post with this existing thread. It's a first-class CD.

Ilja

Ah sorry, missed the thread (and it didn't show up in search).