News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Recent posts

It has no sense of form, theme and development, so it can't generate real counterpoint. I think the mechanism of large language model dictates it, that is predicting a likely next step using a given last step. While I think there is certainly the possiblility of it referencing some further past material that it processes, it doesn't know abstraction and "understand" what macroscopic pattern is. This, I think, is exemplified by its inability to correctly produce images of intricate decorative patterns.
The way to solve it, I think, is to let another AI trained with pattern abstractions edit the "source material". (Or human arrangers, which results in the rise of their importance).
There are two ways of AI composing, one is audio generation, the other is midi file generation. It is hard to edit the music itself with only an audio file and is defeating its own purpose transcribing it to sheet music. But an AI arranger of midi file could be trained. And I think an arranger AI could be trained on abstracted polyphonic inner workings, and it will rely on midi renditions of existing pieces as its training material. So it could be a good news for midi rendition makers.  ;)
I remember there was some experimenting with computer composed classical-esque music in the early 90s. This really isn't a new thing.
Composers & Music / Re: Did AI just kill classical...
Last post by Alan Howe - Yesterday at 22:11
That's a very exciting prospect, if it's a possibility.
Last post by der79sebas - Yesterday at 22:00
I ask myself if AI will soon be able to create good recordings out of (possibly handwritten) scores. This would be a great possibility to listen to unsung music which would otherwise never be performed or recorded (e.g. the much too big operas of Wayditch).
Last post by Alan Howe - Yesterday at 18:11
I take your point.

I just wondered whether AI-derived classical music (which is surely going to be unfamiliar) counts as 'unsung'? In the above brief article the violinist Daniel Kurganov says that he had some sort of hand in 'creating' the new music in the video...
Recordings & Broadcasts / Re: BBC Proms 2024 Season
Last post by eschiss1 - Yesterday at 17:52
Heard a lot of grumps on Facebook about the less-classical concerts and pieces in these Proms, but I'll say that my opinion of the grumping can be summed up along the lines of wanting to have cake and eat it too, what with arts funding having been slashed, one, and nothing coming from nothing, two...
Last post by John Boyer - Yesterday at 17:12
Interesting topic, Alan, but does it really pertain in any way to our remit, unsung composers?
Composers & Music / Did AI just kill classical mus...
Last post by Alan Howe - Yesterday at 16:28
<<Violinist and creator Daniel Kurganov has released a new video. Listen to it here and see if you start to ask yourself some questions...
https://www.thestrad.com/video/did-ai-just-kill-classical-music-a-video-from-violinist-daniel-kurganov/18010.article

Kurganov shares: 'How do we understand what is good string playing? What exactly have we learnt about the intricacies of nuance and beauty? Is it a mystery? Can it be taught or understood in explicit terms? Or can it only be emulated and passed on from one emotional being to the next? I would like to gently challenge all of our preconceptions with this sample of music.

'What you are hearing is music entirely composed by and played by Artificial Intelligence. My role was minimal, limited to guiding the AI with simple text instructions. This represents a groundbreaking moment advancement in technology—and this is the dumbest these tools will ever be. So, we must ask: are we seeing the end of classical music as we know it, or does this mark a new beginning?'>>

A long time has passed I think since we last discussed Max'd'Ollone but I thought members might be interested in some new recordings (on YOUTUBE),performed by the William and Mary Symphony Orchestra (in Virginia). 

The conductor, David Grandis, has been working with Max's grandson Patrick to bring to life works never heard of either for a long time or at all.

The works I've found so far are:
LES VILLES MAUDITES (also on Bru Zanes'release, I believe), LES FUNÉRAILLES DU POÈTE and LE TEMPLE ABANDONNÉ (these last two are stated to be world premier performances (excluding their original outings a century ago'.

Haven't yet listened but having enjoyed his previously released orchestral works, I'm hoping these too are as entertaining.

As well as the YOUTUBE notes accompanying the videos, there is some further background to be found via this link:

https://florentschmitt.com/2019/09/04/french-american-conductor-david-grandis-talks-about-discovering-the-music-of-french-composer-max-dollone-and-championing-his-music-in-the-concert-hall/

Just a heads up for you but any additional details welcome if anyone has them.

Best wishes

Richard