News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Composers & Music / Re: Giovanni Bottesini
Last post by Hector - Today at 08:49
Bottesini wrote chamber music - quartets and quintets, that have been recorded. They continue in the manner of Boccherini and Paganini, that is an Italianate concern for melody over motivic development. I value him  as part of that Italian tradition of instrumental writing that almost disappeared in the 1800's.
Last post by Alan Howe - Yesterday at 21:13
Marco Enrico Bossi would be another name to explore as much of his output pre-dates WW1.

Others would be Michele Esposito and Leone Sinigaglia.
By the way: the Pannon Philharmonic (from Pécs in south-western Hungary) are a very fine orchestra. There's an exciting performance of Nielsen 3 on YouTube conducted by Gilbert Varga.
Thanks for the heads-up, Eric. Very helpful.
Last post by Maury - Yesterday at 19:11
I agree about Sgambati and Martucci but at least they have a few dedicated threads here which is why I didn't reference them too. But the works of all 3 are not merely enjoyable but dynamic and exciting. A shame for their neglect.
I decided to give this another listen after all these months and I'm as convinced as ever about the merits of this orchestration. It's absolutely majestic - finally we have a mature-sounding symphonic statement by Schubert to put alongside the Unfinished and the Great C Major.

When you hear this, it seems as if Rufinatscha is just round the corner...
Last post by Alan Howe - Yesterday at 18:20
QuoteYes pre WW1 Italian composers have a pigeon hole (opera) that they must reside in or they will be ignored by the critics and then the public

Nevertheless, Sgambati and Martucci are two very impressive Italian pre-WW1 non-operatic composers. Two of my absolute favourites, especially in their symphonies and piano concertos.
Recordings & Broadcasts / Re: Meyerbeer: Le Prophète
Last post by Alan Howe - Yesterday at 18:10
I suppose one issue would be how complete the new version will be in comparison. Secondly, though, I've never been a fan of McCracken's rather woolly and effortful tenor in the old recording and I suspect that Osborn might be better. I've listened to the soprano and mezzo on the new recording and they're both pretty good, so I had no hesitation in ordering it - especially also with the LSO and Elder at the helm.

Sometimes it's just nice to have another recording of an old favourite such as this - after nearly 50 years!!
Last post by Maury - Yesterday at 17:41
Thanks for your reply. Yes pre WW1 Italian composers have a pigeon hole (opera) that they must reside in or they will be ignored by the critics and then the public. I understand that. Paganini is rather a special case. My question is why he seems to be ignored here too relatively speaking? I believe the LP you refer to has been reissued on Sony Essential Classics CD series wiih Ricci and Petracchi and Francescatti. The quintets I have are on SOMM with I Musicante while the Quartets are on Dynamic. I did not see the Quartets issued on Naxos or CPO. Do you have the citations for them?  I have seen CPO and  Naxos CDs of his orchestral pieces.

I agree on Bottesini's double bass writing; it is quite marvelous and light footed for  a double bass. But I can understand why classical audiences don't rush to hear them. Other than for violin, cello  or piano, concertos are unsung by major orchestras.
A must buy for me too but how will it measure up to the classic Marilyn Horne, Renata Scotto, James McCracken set on CBS?