News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Recent posts

...dating from 1826, this will be performed under Martyn Brabbins at the Barbican, London, this coming Friday, 10th May:
https://www.barbican.org.uk/whats-on/2024/event/bbc-symphony-orchestrabrabbins-old-pictures-new-worlds
I feel sure it could be done. And Martin Yates would be just the man to do it.
A job for someone like Martin Yates, perhaps?
Composers & Music / Re: Records Int down again?
Last post by kolaboy - Yesterday at 16:46
Been buying from RI since the 80s. Hope they recover soon.
I've seen several comments both in this thread and on YouTube that this would be difficult, but possible for a composer of sufficient skill to achieve but that would no doubt also mean that it would be an expensive exercise. I've just been listening to the recording (which is still in our Downloads Board here, by the way) but it's very muddy and recessed, so a fair amount of imagination would be required too.
Composers & Music / Re: Records Int down again?
Last post by Alan Howe - Yesterday at 14:33
Oh dear, that's a blow for them. Thanks for the info, Mark.
Could the score be reconstructed from Mark's off-air recording?
Ah well, thanks Gareth.
Albion and I did visit De Wolfe's and were given access to what they had. But, alas, they confirmed that the score of the 3rd symphony had been lost, a casuality of flood damage.
I'll hold my hand up and admit that both the Bowen symphonies on the Chandos CD are very much to my taste, they receive splendid performances although I wouldn't really call either a masterpiece.

Re-reading this thread I'm a little confused about the question of the "lost" Symphony No.3. Gareth and former member Albion were doing some fine sleuthing and in this post Albion reports that de Wolfe confirmed that they had the score and then in this later post Albion wrote that he and Gareth were going to examine in person the scores stored by de Wolfe but there's no mention of the result of that visit, if it actually took place. I have a copy of the recording of the 1954 broadcast of the performance of the Third by the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra under Ian Whyte but it's a long way from ideal and a modern recording would be a great thing to have.

Can you update us on the fate of the score please, Gareth?