News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Recent posts

I've avoided it, Mark, both because Spyres doesn't have the 'heft' for the role and because the supporting cast isn't up to scratch. Of course, I'm notoriously fussy when it comes to good singing and may well be missing something special here...
Has anyone yet had a chance to compare the new Naxos release of Meyerbeer's L'Africaine with the earlier cpo release? With Michael Spyres in the role of Vasco it's a very tempting buy.
Composers & Music / Re: Ferdinand Thieriot
Last post by Alan Howe - Today at 08:25
Becker's style derives from mainly from Wagner, I think. This may explain your findings.
That's very good news, Fred. Could you please let us know when the CDs can be ordered? Thanks!
It's here!

Last post by Maury - Today at 05:56
Listening to the Becker Symphony 1 I think this is the first time I have heard a work that seems to combine elements of the symphonic style of both Brahms and Bruckner. Do others agree or disagree? I like his control over the brass section. My criticism of a number of the unsungs symphonies relates either to a hesitant or rather formulaic use of the brass section. This affects their Finales particularly. The strings and woodwinds are generally handled well by them in contrast. The Becker has good integration of the 3 sections though.
Composers & Music / Re: Mystery
Last post by Theodore S. - Today at 05:32
Quote from: Hector on Yesterday at 14:59Same sound world as Canning's Fantasy on a Hymn Tune.

Quote from: Alan Howe on Yesterday at 19:31Exactly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnpC0vfHMnw

Thank you both for finding the piece!
Last post by FBerwald - Today at 04:57
Weren't Theriot's Piano Concertos going to be recorded for Hyperions RPC. Any update on that?
Composers & Music / Re: Mystery
Last post by Hector - Yesterday at 14:59
Same sound world as Canning's Fantasy on a Hymn Tune.