News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: Alan Howe on Yesterday at 12:49As I said before, I listened to it again and, apart from some fetching orchestration and a few decent tunes, it just didn't do anything for me. You only have to listen to some of the composer's exciting overtures to notice the difference in quality. IMHO, of course.

Yes, indeed.
As for DH, he's excellent - when you happen to agree with him!  ;D
Hurwitz has just posted a video in which he says that the new set was 'sabotaged' by the orchestra and engineers - and I think he may be right. I was certainly unimpressed by the sound but couldn't put my finger on what was wrong. Anyway, at this stage I'd advise caution about purchase and point anyone interested in the music to the excellent three CDs conducted by Lintu on Ondine.
Link to Hurwitz's video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuVoU6OBuuY&list=PLAjIX596BriEwSbnDlmBIpVglgIp9Pf5i
Recordings & Broadcasts / Re: Conrado del Campo: String ...
Last post by Ilja - Yesterday at 22:11
Del Campo has become mainly known for his quartets, which run the gamut from (literal) melodrama to a kind of dance suite. He is a bit of an exception among Spanish composers for his incorporation of German influences (inclusing the use of Wagner-like Leitmotifs), particularly earlier in his career. However, his reputation has rather suffered because of his unwavering support for Franco's regime, and his part in creating an arch-conservative artistic climate during the dictatorship. A bit like a Spanish Max von Schillings, although not nearly as nasty. It seems that recently something of a revival has started. 

The 8th quartet is a work that I would qualify as "lean" both in its melodies and instrumentalization, but I did think it had some trouble sustaining interest for its entire 45+ minutes. Over two decades later, he worked it into a piano quintet with the title "Episodio de una vida combatida y dolorosa" (Episode of a life of struggle and pain). That one's perhaps a tad too substantial at over an hour. I didn't know the 9th quartet, but from the samples that quartet sounds a bit more entertaining than its predecessor. 
Recordings & Broadcasts / Sinding Violin Sonatas 1-3
Last post by Alan Howe - Yesterday at 19:21
...forthcoming from Lawo Classics:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9626689--christian-sinding-violin-sonatas-nos-1-3

Gorgeous - and right up my street!
...forthcoming from MarchVivo - two substantial late-romantic works:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9622972--conrado-del-campo-string-quartets-nos-8-9

Composers & Music / Re: Did AI just kill classical...
Last post by Maury - Yesterday at 18:01
I think this is more of an issue for pop music. You have to always follow the money. Paying royalties is a big expense of streaming music. So "AI" (as it is currently very loosely and sloppily defined)  allows someone to generate music "in the style of" and avoid royalty payments. Any more positive use is just icing on the royalty cake. Since classical music is such a small percentage of music streaming it doesn't make any sense for those streamers to worry about it. I think the aspect stated above where printed music is played back through software is helpful but also no big deal. Playback software of scores has existed for over 25 years commercially and not really AI.
Quote from: Alan Howe on Yesterday at 12:49No, it isn't trash - you're right. However, in a way one is forced into deciding that it is when a critic as high-profile as Hurwitz tells us that it's a major find (my summary of his assessment) - because that's just nonsense.

As I said before, I listened to it again and, apart from some fetching orchestration and a few decent tunes, it just didn't do anything for me. You only have to listen to some of the composer's exciting overtures to notice the difference in quality. IMHO, of course.
Good point, I agree that the Sinfonia can't really compete with those. Or some other works: I listened to Il Ritorno del Marinaio a few weeks ago, and it seemed that a pretty good symphony was somehow stuck in there.
The themes derive from Duke Ernst's oeuvre. I think that's part of the problem.
Last post by Ilja - Yesterday at 13:50
Well, there IS Siegfried Wagner's symphony in C of 1925, of course. Quite mature, and a pretty good piece in my view.

Scriabin as a Wagnerian is certainly a hot take.
Last post by Alan Howe - Yesterday at 12:53
I've always wondered a mature Wagner symphony might sound like. Any offers from you AI whizz-kids out there?  ;)

Oh, sorry. Scriabin wrote three in that idiom.