News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Recordings & Broadcasts / Loeffler Octet
Last post by Alan Howe - Today at 12:43
But only (so far) as a download. There's no mention of it yet at jpc - in any form.
A new version of these quintets is now out on CPO from the indefatigable Mr Triendl:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9626891--hans-huber-piano-quintets-1-2
Composers & Music / Re: Giovanni Bottesini
Last post by Alan Howe - Today at 10:45
It's to do with timbre and tuning, I find. As I said, my loss.
Composers & Music / Re: W. S. Huffman
Last post by Maury - Today at 09:36
It was a bit hard for me to assess this because I found the performance rhythmically disjointed. Is there another better performance? Looking at the date of the performance in July 2022 it is entirely possible that pandemic related lockdowns inhibited group practices.
Composers & Music / Re: W. S. Huffman
Last post by Mark Thomas - Today at 09:17
The Quintet is delicious, Colin, thanks so much for the heads up. Of course there's a part of me that thinks that, dating from 1970 not 1870, it couldn't be more of an anachronism but that's just "conditioning". The music's the thing and it's a joy. I'm looking forward to investigating more of Huffman's work.
Last post by Maury - Today at 02:54
Musical tastes for or against different instruments are difficult to change. I do remember the Gary Karr tours. He was a particular favorite of Japanese record buyers apparently because Japan King issued an extensive series of audiophile recordings of him in the late 80s  and early 90s. I was a high school violinist so I am not as partial to viola and cello solo sound (as opposed to section ensembles which I like unreservedly). A little knowledge is dangerous I suppose. The viola and cello are rather undersized for the range of the instruments and I hear a slight nasality to the sound, particularly higher notes. But most people don't hear them that way. Ironically in spite of its size the double bass has a softer sound without much dynamic projection except on the E string.
Composers & Music / W. S. Huffman
Last post by semloh - Today at 02:12
There have been no posts about W. Spencer Huffman (1921-2005) for over a decade, so I thought I would draw attention to his unequivocally neo-romantic chamber works which can be found at a dedicated YT site. I find all the works there a sheer delight, but especially the piano quintet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCqHQ3-SamM), and I would love to know what UC members think about them.
Last post by semloh - Today at 01:59
Many decades ago, Gary Karr toured Europe displaying his virtuosity on the d-bass, and popularized it as a solo/concerto instrument. Several LPs appeared, mostly of Bottesini, which I purchased, and I must say I rather like them, especially the 2nd concerto, although I am constantly wanting the d-bass to become a 'cello!  ;D
I mean this particular recording - which I found on CD at Amazon/France (because it doesn't appear to be available in physical form in the UK). And I meant what I said: this is one of the most lusciously played and recorded releases of chamber music I have ever heard. It was actually a March release in France.