News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Recordings & Broadcasts / Re: Enescu Symphonies 1-3/etc.
Last post by kolaboy - Yesterday at 18:43
Blah. I was hoping to update my Marco Polo versions.
Composers & Music / Re: Langgaard's 3rd Symphony
Last post by kolaboy - Yesterday at 18:34
The only piece by Langgaard that I haven't been particularly impressed by is the 1st symphony - and that may have been down to the performance (again, Stupel).
Last post by eschiss1 - Yesterday at 18:28
I adore the brief 11th and 12th symphonies...
Last post by kolaboy - Yesterday at 18:24
Thanks for the replies. I detect a bit of Gade in the 5th and 7th symphonies (especially in the writing for timpani).
Langgaard is difficult (for me, anyway) to get a hold of. He's as oddly beautiful as a shoebill stork.
Last post by eschiss1 - Yesterday at 18:17
It didn't exactly begin as a concerto/fantasia. See DaCapo: "The symphony was begun in 1915 in the form of a solo piano work which Langgaard expanded so that, at the beginning of 1916, he was able to finish the work under the title Symphony No. 3, "La melodia". Despite the genre designation it is a classic piano concerto." This version, performed in 1918, is lost, and was longer than the revised version (rev. 1925-33) that is the only surviving version.
Last post by Holger - Yesterday at 18:09
Later in his life, Langgaard felt very much akin to Gade as documented in this interview:
http://www.langgaard.dk/litt/interv/etdramae.htm
and the classicism of many of Langgaard's later works does mirror this in some sense. However, the Third is an early work, and at least in terms of music Gade does not play a major role here. Whether the scoring is influenced by Gade is a different question, it could of course but on the other hand Langgaard was kind of an eccentric (mildly put) all over his life, so he did not necessarily need a role model for an unusual scoring, labeling or whatever sort of artistic decision.
Last post by Alan Howe - Yesterday at 17:37
Friends can judge for themselves here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUi9r52weSo

Personally, I don't hear any Gade in this - it sounds more like a late-romantic piano concerto which morphed into a strange hybrid. Langgaard was always a one-off...

Composers & Music / Langgaard's 3rd Symphony
Last post by kolaboy - Yesterday at 17:06
Was listening to Stupel's recording of Langgaard's 3rd symphony and wondering if he may have been inspired by Gade's fifth to add a piano? Apparently, the piece began as a concerto/fantasia, and morphed into what we have today. I'm not very familiar with Langgaard's biography, and don't know to what degree he may have been influenced by Gade. Personally, I tend to hear more Strauss than Gade in early Langgaard...
Composers & Music / Overture by Nikolai Rubinstein
Last post by Theodore S. - Yesterday at 14:00
Hello everyone,

I don't think this has been posted here before, but correct me if I'm wrong. I found out that apparently Nikolai Rubinstein wrote an orchestral Overture in A minor (linked manuscript score). As far as I know, this piece has never been recorded, but seeing as I couldn't find out any information about it, I doubt it was even performed or published; the score is dated to 1880. Most articles on Nikolai Rubinstein say he only wrote some short piano music and songs, but this is a work for full orchestra.

Maybe somebody here already knows about this piece and has more information? If so, I would love for you to share it here!
Composers & Music / Re: Who would you consider a B...
Last post by Alan Howe - Yesterday at 12:55
The consequence for me is discovering a piece of music on a CD which I'd bought for the main work  that it contains and finding that I'd never listened to it!