News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Recent posts

This is the problem with paying attention to one critic who (inevitably) will have his own enthusiasms and blind spots. I mean, I think Draeseke is as great as Brahms and can't stand Sullivan's Savoy operas, so it's hardly surprising to find that Hurwitz, even with all his vast experience, has his own oddities. Listen to him, by all means (I do too), but read other opinions if at all possible - and make up your own mind!
This post made me have a listen to his fantaisie for Pno & Orch. What a perfectly concise work. It has no rambling "filler" passages and dead spots.
I wasn't volunteering to reconstruct the scores from the performances, lacking those skills, but if anyone ever is, the more source material (than just one performance) they have to work with, the better.
You are more willing than I to cut a critic slack.
His aesthetics is peculiar from time to time. He thought Pfitzner's PC, and by extension, all of his compositions are extremely boring.
Quote from: Alan Howe on Yesterday at 16:59Hurwitz thinks Sullivan was the greatest British composer.
I always take that as an over-correction on the low status of comedic music
Hurwitz thinks Sullivan was the greatest British composer. The Savoy operas are fab, of course, but what else did he write that's great music? Answer: nothing. Hurwitz is welcome to his opinion, but the problem is that he does somewhat dominate the market in YouTube videos of classical recordings. And that's a bad thing for objectivity...

The Suppe is trash - I've just checked. IMHO, of course.
I wondered about irony, but I don't think so. He really means what he says and what he says makes sense, except that it's about such a poor piece.
Composers & Music / Re: 2024 Unsung Concerts
Last post by eschiss1 - Yesterday at 15:43
I also don't see score or parts for free of Op.8 online (which is fair enough; IMSLP tries to block free download outside of regions where the music is in copyright- EU/UK, in this case, since he died in 1960, and the music was first published-- ooh, not until 2023? That explains A LOT...)--  but I do see them for sale, with the first page of each movement visible. (-If- - if - it was first performed long enough ago then the 2023 publication date matters less- except in the US where that doesn't matter! - though the date of death of course still extends copyright to 2030-odd in UK/EU nmw.) (A little like the US copyright state of a number of Pejacevic's works which were not published until the 2010s- for example.)
Composers & Music / Re: 2024 Unsung Concerts
Last post by eschiss1 - Yesterday at 15:41
I see that it dates from 1905 (14 years earlier than his apparently slightly-better-known A major quartet Op.50). Haven't heard either, don't know if the Op.8 has been recorded- , though I see a video recording of the A major quartet and of piano pieces (Op.16) closer in time to the Op.8 quartet on YouTube - and here's an excerpt from his Op.6 bagatelles for piano.