News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Recent posts

My order's in!

Orders can be placed here:
https://www.schweizerfonogramm.com/boutique/page/2/
I sang in a choral medley from The Music Man a few years ago and really enjoyed the songs but, apart from 76 Trombones from time to time, I can't remember hearing any of the other numbers, let alone the whole musical, getting an airing over here. Willson's two symphonies were a disappointment, I agree. None of the spark and colour of the musical, just rather academic and tedious as I recall. Anyway, as we moderators say, back to Raff's Samson,
Is "The Music Man" as much a staple of the English musical theatre as it is here in the colonies, or does its nostalgic Americana not survive translation?  Meredith Wilson composed two symphonies, recorded for Naxos, but I've never taken to them, despite my best efforts. 

Meanwhile, I'll keep an eye out for that delivery wagon.  I'm confident it will be worth the wait. 
Well done, John-Boy! A poet - and don't 'e know it...
Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 10 May 2024, 11:24Great. It's a date!

The sight of that consignment of CDs is almost too much to bear...

O-ho the Wells Fargo Wagon is a-comin' down the street,
Oh please let it be for me!

O-ho the Wells Fargo Wagon is a-comin' down the street,
I wish, I wish I knew what it could be!

I'm a-hopin' for an opry by a guy named Raff
That's the music that I really want to hear

Though the singing to my standards may be far far off
Still I want that Schweizer package to be near!
The set's now being advertised by jpc at EUR39.99 for the three CDs:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/joachim-raff-samson/hnum/11860991
Composers & Music / Re: Ferdinand Thieriot
Last post by Alan Howe - Yesterday at 10:03
cpo would be my first choice: they mostly release German radio recordings and there are conductors who would do a good job - such as Golo Berg, who tells us that his performance of Grimm's magnificent Symphony was recorded for release sometime soon. Toccata Classics have put out two superb CDs of Thieriot's chamber music, so they too might be interested.

I do agree that the SCO sounds underpowered, particularly so in the Henselt excerpts. I may buy the Bronsart download for Paul Wee's pianism but it'll be a whim if I do and Wee seems to have full albums on his YouTube channel, so there'll probably be the opportunity to hear the whole recording before deciding.
Composers & Music / Re: Ferdinand Thieriot
Last post by Maury - Yesterday at 02:49
Believe me I share your wish for Theriot and some others too  but I don't know what an enterprising label is in 2024, particularly for orchestral music. I am more familiar with the US but the pandemic was rather devastating for the classical music field here. Yes the few classical music organizations that are in the largest cities like New York, Chicago and LA are perhaps about back where they were in 2019 but even those have had losses in season subscriptions which is worrisome. The second-line cities like Detroit or Cleveland are starting to sink. The breakup of the Soviet Union created some openings in the 90s and 00s for cheaper orchestral recordings in Russia and Eastern Europe but those are pretty much gone for different reasons.

I would think some crowdsourcing vehicle is more likely than relying on labels which are facing a rapidly shrinking CD and download market. In the US, CDs are actually well below vinyl now in both revenue and units sold. Even more feasible IMO would be the transcription of these symphonies for well done computer playback. Given that many people now listen to MP3s on their computer or mobile device one need not worry overly much about audiophile considerations. Just my thoughts but I do share your concern.