News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

2023 Unsung Concerts

Started by Wheesht, Saturday 16 July 2022, 09:18

Previous topic - Next topic

scarpia

just fund out that the same day Botstein is doing Kauder there is a performance of the Volkmann Symphony in Waltham. Bummer! Botstein's TON orchestra is better that Waltham's community orchestra so the decision is pretty easy.

I did some searching and found a Symphony Pro Musica that is performing Chadwick's Jubilee on 11/5 and 11/6. I don't know them. Their facebook page says they are a high-level, ambitious volunteer community orchestra. I will probably check it out. The alternative is the Verdi Requiem in Cambridge.

scarpia

Max Bruch's Symphony No. 3 is coming up this winter in Concord. Boston Symphony is doing the Stenhammar Serenade. I just got to hear the Emilie Mayer Symphony # 4 at UMass. I saw the debate over her worth. I thought it was an excellent work.

John Boyer

Quote from: scarpia on Wednesday 23 November 2022, 20:44I just got to hear the Emilie Mayer Symphony # 4 at UMass. I saw the debate over her worth. I thought it was an excellent work.
Amherst or Boston?

eschiss1

A note: there's still a _2022_ Unsung Concerts thread where, arguably, reports on  December 2022 concerts upcoming (and the reports on November 2022 concerts upcoming above, assuming they were not on November 2023 concerts) fit better than they do here.

eschiss1

Raff's octet is apparently scheduled for June 18th in the Chamber Music Room in Luxembourg, while the Sinfonietta is due on June 19th at Stratford-on-Avon's Town Hall.

eschiss1

Other possibly interesting 2023 concerts include, but aren't at all limited to...
a concert this Sunday that contains Philipp Jarnach's op.10 string quintet (composed 1918, published 1920- a little over our bar, sorry) - anycase in Hamburg, see https://bachtrack.com/concert-event/signum-quartet-nils-monkemeyer-elbphilharmonie-kleiner-saal-8-january-2023/368900. Anyone in NYC on January 23 may want to catch Sir Arthur Sullivan's almost never-played string quartet in D minor (a work believed to be lost) (see this listing.) (Still waiting for Moscheles' quartet to be performed, but don't miss Sullivan's :) )

On Jan. 22 in Budapest Dohnanyi's Suite op.19 (and Liszt's Prometheus, and Rach's piano concerto 2) are the program when Levente Török conducts the Miskolc Symphony (Anton Gerzenberg, piano).

Bachtrack says Robert Kahn's trio-serenade op.73 will feature in 3 concerts this year, which is interesting. Given that they hardly list all concerts that happen during the year, that's even promising.

eschiss1

I notice that two works by Farrenc are being performed on January 12th - her 3rd symphony in Pamplona, her 2nd overture in Atlanta Georgia.

scarpia

Quote from: John Boyer on Friday 25 November 2022, 21:16
Quote from: scarpia on Wednesday 23 November 2022, 20:44I just got to hear the Emilie Mayer Symphony # 4 at UMass. I saw the debate over her worth. I thought it was an excellent work.
Amherst or Boston?
Amherst.

This Sunday I get to hear a piece by Teresa Carreño at Sanders in Cambridge. Their website describes it :

"The Venezuelan-American composer Teresa Carreño wrote a Romantic take on the Classical suite during a stay in the Alps. Her intoxicating Serenade for strings conveys all the charm of the Austrian lakeside village where it was written."

eschiss1

oh, this is interesting too- Chicago Symphony Orchestra, February 1- concert opening with Coleridge-Taylor's Hiawatha Overture...

scarpia

January 14th in Springfield MA they are playing William Grant Still's 4th Symphony.

Wheesht

Cellist Raphaela Gromes is playing two concertos in this attractive programme in Augsburg in February.

HECTOR BERLIOZ (1803 – 1869): Ouvertüre zu »Béatrice et Bénédict«
MARIE JAËLL (1846 – 1925): Konzert für Violoncello und Orchester in F-Dur
CAMILLE SAINT-SAËNS (1835 – 1921): Konzert für Violoncello und Orchester Nr. 1 a-Moll op. 33
LOUISE FARRENC (1804 – 1875): Sinfonie Nr. 3 g-Moll op. 36

Mark Thomas

Two cello concertos is one concert? That must be something of a modern first.

Wheesht

That's what I thought. Of course, the Jaëll is fairly short, but still... It does make sense to feature teacher and student in the same concert, though.

Gareth Vaughan

It's an example of refreshingly adventurous and intelligent programming. I'm impressed.

Rainolf

Grieg-Begegnungsstätte Leipzig, 25 February, 19:00

The International Draeseke Society has arranged a concert to commemorate the 110th aniversary of Felix Draeseke's death in the Grieg-Begegnungsstätte Leipzig. Pianist Aris Alexander Blettenberg will play a varied program where music of Theodor Kirchner (200th birthday in 2023) is included, too:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791)
Präludium und Fuge C-Dur KV 394

Joseph Haydn (1732-1809)
Sonate F-Dur Hob.XVI:23

Franz Schubert (1797-1828)
Sonate As-Dur/Es-Dur D 557

Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)
Alla Ingharese quasi un Capriccio op. 129

Theodor Kirchner (1823-1903)
Capricen op. 27 Nr. 1-3

Robert Schumann (1810-1856)
Arabeske op. 18