News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

2023 Unsung Concerts

Started by Wheesht, Saturday 16 July 2022, 09:18

Previous topic - Next topic

scarpia

Adolf von Henselt's Piano Concerto is on the program this weekend at Bard.

eschiss1

The first concert at the Ardkinglas Estate* of 2023 will have the Duo Arnicans (Florian Arnicans, cellist and Arta Arnicane, piano) performing, besides works by Felix Mendelssohn and Jānis Ķepītis (1908-89), the fairy tale op.8 for cello and piano by Paul Juon on 19 February.

*on the shores of Loch Fyne in Argyll, Scotland.

A piano trio by Juon will figure in a concert by the Sierra Chamber Society on June 11, 2023, at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2100 Tice Valley Blvd, Walnut Creek, California. The preceding concert (April 16) has Karol Szymanowski ("Carl Szymanovsky" - fair enough!)'s first string quartet and an unidentified string quintet ("with double bass" - ?) by Spohr, in addition to a violin sonata in G minor I've never heard of by Felix Mendelssohn (though this could be a typo too, based on the other things, and their listing Beethoven's A minor violin sonata with the opus number that belongs to Beach's work in that key, etc. Not encouraging.)

Wheesht

They played the same programme at the Museum of Fine Arts in Olten, Switzerland, on Sunday morning, 29 January, and very good it was, too.

eschiss1

I need to be less prolific with my edits. I assume you mean the Duo Arnicans? Thanks :)

scarpia

Lviv National Philharmonic Orchestra of Ukraine is touring and will be playing the Thomas de Hartmann Violin Concerto at UMass on Friday 2-10. the New England Philharmonic is also having a go at in on May 7.

The Piano Concerto Op. 61 and the First Symphonic Poem Op. 50 will be played on March 18 at UMass.

The Cello Concert is on the program May 13 in Springfield MA.

There is a  website of the Thomas de Hartmann Project:
https://thomasdehartmannproject.com/upcoming-events/

Wheesht

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 07 February 2023, 20:59I need to be less prolific with my edits. I assume you mean the Duo Arnicans? Thanks :)
> Yes, I do mean the Duo Arnicans. When I wrote my reply, your post ended with the note about the location in Scotland...  ;)

modthryth

Detroit Symphony Orchestra will be performing Pejacevic's symphony this weekend! Along with ultra-rare Mussorgsky and Grieg (haha).

https://www.dso.org/events-and-tickets/events/22-23-winter/night-on-bald-mountain

BTW, I am working on a concert database and interactive map that might be of interest to you all, though it is in its early stages: classicalconcertmap.com. Forgive the self-promotion (though this will be free and open permanently, no commercial ambitions here).

scarpia

Quote from: modthryth on Thursday 23 February 2023, 13:03Detroit Symphony Orchestra will be performing Pejacevic's symphony this weekend! Along with ultra-rare Mussorgsky and Grieg (haha).

https://www.dso.org/events-and-tickets/events/22-23-winter/night-on-bald-mountain

Nice. When I retire I may travel around the country hearing these rare pieces. Detroit is a bit out of my range now. Bard isn't though. Gade's Hamlet Overture is on the program April 17. Unfortunately it's the Community Orchestra playing and they are not nearly as good as the TON or conservatory orchestras.

hyperdanny

on April 20 and 22, at the Teatro Dal Verme, Milan, the Pomeriggi Musicali orchestra will perform Mehul's Symphony n.1.
The orchestra is a very good medium-sized ensemble,frequently beefed up according to the repertoire, founded after WWII.
This concert will be conducted by Benjamin Bayl.
It's worthy to notice that the orchestra is going through a very happy period, thanks to the current Chief Conductor, James Feddeck (Georg Schumann on cpo). 

hyperdanny

got my ticket for the 20th..very eager to finally hear some Mehul live!

hyperdanny

On March 24th and 26th, a very rare chance to hear the wonderful Korngold symphony, performed here in Milan by the Orchestra Sinfonica di Milano (formerly known as Orchestra Sinfonica di Milano Giuseppe Verdi), conducted by Giuseppe Grazioli at the Auditorium di Milano.
it's going to be paired with some Suppé and Lehar trifles (the concert is titled "Vienna Sinfonica"), but there's also Korngold's Straussiana, which I never heard but sounds fun.

ewk

The renowned Gewandhaus orchestra (Leipzig, Germany) has some interesting pieces in its 2023/24 season (please excuse also noting the 2024 concerts in this thread):
Mainly quite some Reinecke, celebrating his 200th birthday:
- 5 Nov.: Reinecke 3rd Symphony (seems that the Music university orchestra takes over for this concert)
- 2 March 2024: piano (duo) music (opp. 24, 86, 193, 275, 125)
- 9 March 2024: "Musical fairytales by Reinecke" (a family concert)
- 17 March 2024 Wind Sextet op 271
- 7 April Fantasiestücke op. 22 (Vl and piano), Drei Fantasiestücke Vla and piano op. 43, Trio Piano Clarinet Viola op. 264
- 2+3 May 2024: Flute concerto (Susanna Mälkki, Katalin Stefula)
- 25/26 May 2024: "Die Wilden Schwäne", scenic production
- 28/29 May 2024: a children's concert with Reinecke works for String quartet
- 2 June: String quartets Nos. 2&4
- 15 June: "Sommertagsbilder" Choir+orchestra op. 161; Oratorio "Belsazar" op. 73

Apart from this, there is:
- 8/10 Sep 2023: Berwald Symphony No. 2 (Singulière); Tone poem "Remembering the Norwegian Alps" (Blomstedt conducts)
- 5/6 Oct: Chausson Symphony (a well-recorded, but relatively seldomly performed work I believe)
4/5 Apr 2024: Berwald "Elfenspiel" (Elf play) (Blomstedt)
- 13/14 June: 2d Symphony "Hakon Jarl"

Rainolf

Bern, 2 May 2023, Yehudi Menuhin Forum

Cello solo recital with Julius Berger:

Johann Sebastian Bach: Suite in G major BWV 1007
Adolf Busch: Prelude and Fugue in D minor op. 8b
Walter Courvoisier: Suite in B minor op. 32/2
J. S. Bach: Chorale prelude "Wenn ich einmal soll scheiden" (arr. J. Berger)
Max Reger: Suite Nr. 2 in D minor op. 131c

https://regerbern23.ch/cellorezital-julius-berger/

eschiss1

A not uninteresting-looking concert at Wigmore Hall, London on 5 October:
Schumann, Robert (1810-1856)   Six studies in the form of canons, Op.56   
Enescu, George (1881-1955)   Piano Quartet no. 2 in D minor, Op.30   
Beethoven, Ludwig van (1770-1827)   Prelude and Fugue for String Quintet   
Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus (1756-1791)   Quintet for Strings in G minor, K516

Toni

Here are some violin concertos that are unfortunately played far too rarely and of which there are few recordings. Is there a live performance somewhere in this year 2023 or 2024?

Mieczysław Karłowicz (1876 - 1909): Violin Concerto in A major op. 8 (1902).
Sergei Ivanovich Taneyev (1856-1915): Concert Suite for violin and orchestra in five movements op. 28 (1908/09)
Felix Weingartner (1863 - 1942): Violin Concerto in G major op. 52 (1911)
Emil Nikolaus von Reznicek (1860 - 1945): Violin Concerto in E minor (1918)
Ottorino Respighi (1879 - 1936): Concerto gregoriano (1920)   
Carlo Giorgio Garofalo (1886 - 1962): Concerto ottocentesco (1927)
Reynaldo Hahn (1874-1947): Concerto pour Violon et Orchestre (1928)
Ina Boyle (1889 - 1967): Concerto for violin and orchestra (1932-33, rev. 1935)
Richard Flury (1896 - 1967): Violin Concerto No 2 (1940)
Ernst John Moeran (1894 - 1950): Violin Concerto (1942).

In order to get to know these concertos better, I have created a completely non-commercial homepage. There you will find information about the genesis of each concerto and a listening guide.

https://unbekannte-violinkonzerte.jimdofree.com/--3/