News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Composers & Music / Re: Giovanni Bottesini
Last post by terry martyn - Today at 12:25
I first encountered Bottesini on the flipside of an LP mainly devoted to Paganini (his Fourth,from memory).  I imagine that the CDs you are referring to are from Naxos and cpo.  I have always found him eminently listenable,and melodies from the Grand Duo readily spring to mind.  Apart from the likes of the frontline composers such as Verdi and Paganini,Italian orchestral music,and particularly,concertante works,have not been tremendously in vogue. When you occasionally encounter Bazzini,for example,and his dashing,Fourth Violin Concerto,I am surprised that more interest has not been shown.
Try this YouTube recording of the Cathedral Scene (30+ mins, audio only), evidently from the same performance in Aix-en-Provence on 15th July last year. I'm assuming it was recorded from the radio broadcast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl995uHhDqo

I can hear an awful lot of pre-echoes of Verdi here: the Auto-da-fé scene in Don Carlos comes to mind....

How different from the direction Raff was to take just a few years later in Samson - I'd like to hear his earlier opera König Alfred (which is roughly contemporary with Le Prophète) for comparison purposes...

By the way: I've put my (pre-)order in for Le Prophète straight away - the singing sounds exceptional (for once!)

Composers & Music / Giovanni Bottesini
Last post by Maury - Today at 07:27
Obviously Giovanni Bottesini was a noted 19th C. double bass virtuoso. Unlike most such  instrument virtuosos, he wrote quite a lot of music in genres and for ensembles outside of his specialty. I have CDs of his string quartets and quintets along with a couple of his more well known double bass pieces. I started this thread because I was a bit puzzled by the relative lack of mentions here except en passant. As far as I can tell this is the first thread dedicated to his music. Is he considered not an Unsung or is there some other reason for the lack of discussion? To me while his double bass music is obviously a mainstay for that instrument, his other music seems to be invisible.I know he wrote operas as well but have not been able to find any recording of them except for the Ali Baba overture. If I have somehow strayed off the reservation with this thread feel free to delete.
Forthcoming in June from LSO Live:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9624610--meyerbeer-le-prophete

I tried to link this to the previous thread on this opera, but could not, so maybe one of the moderators can help me here.

Done [Mark]
A must-have, thank you.
In July 2024, according to Presto, a disc of Enrico Bossi's 2 violin sonatas performed by Emmanuele Baldini and Luca Delle Donne will be issued on Naxos. (I know offhand of only one other recording of these two works together.)
Yes, this is very interesting and the recording sounds excellent to me. Thanks for alerting us, Wheesht;)
I have the mp3s I downloaded from UC, of the 3rd Symphony under Tausky. Any help?
An 8-minute video (in German with English subtitles) is now available at jpc:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/johanna-senfter-klarinettentrio/hnum/11170347
This is indeed an excellent CD! The only problem from a marketing perspective is that, at first glance, it gives little idea as to the contents - I nearly passed it by, but thankfully a closer inspection revealed some very interesting repertoire! I would highlight Heller's Caprice Symphonique in particular - a real virtuoso showpiece that one would not normally associate with this composer, better known for his didactic studies and shorter morceaux. The is plenty more to enjoy here though, and I have no hesitation in thoroughly recommending it to anyone interested in lesser-known 19th century piano music.