News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Hello everyone,

I don't think this has been posted here before, but correct me if I'm wrong. I found out that apparently Nikolai Rubinstein wrote an orchestral Overture in A minor (linked manuscript score). As far as I know, this piece has never been recorded, but seeing as I couldn't find out any information about it, I doubt it was even performed or published; the score is dated to 1880. Most articles on Nikolai Rubinstein say he only wrote some short piano music and songs, but this is a work for full orchestra.

Maybe somebody here already knows about this piece and has more information? If so, I would love for you to share it here!
The consequence for me is discovering a piece of music on a CD which I'd bought for the main work  that it contains and finding that I'd never listened to it!
I am not qualified to judge the songs,Maury,as I am only a collector of orchestral music,both symphonic and concertante.  In my collection,there are a number of operatic works (even including Boieldieu's Dame Blanche!), fewer choral,and next to no songs, unless orchestrated. Nor do I collect chamber music. Some things just don't appeal,I'm afraid.
Composers & Music / Re: Parry Symphony No.2
Last post by Alan Howe - Today at 10:13
One recording of No.4 is, of course, of the original (and greatly inferior) version.
Composers & Music / Re: Parry Symphony No.2
Last post by eschiss1 - Today at 01:28
That said, I know of only two modern recordings (maybe only two recordings at all), Bamert's and Penny's. The 3rd, 4th and 5th symphonies have been more fortunate in receiving more than 2 recordings apiece.
Composers & Music / Re: Who would you consider a B...
Last post by Maury - Yesterday at 16:33
Terry,

I agree that the B3 (and possibly B2) is more likely a general starting point for Wetz and Scherber. It is Romantic and questing without the specific and highly charged angst near the surface of B8 and all over B9. But I don't see either composer as simply imitating Bruckner but rather using him as a generalized starting point the way Brahms did in his Symphony 1 with Beethoven.

I am curious what you thought of Scherber's Lieder included with the Symphony 1 on the Adriano CD.
Composers & Music / Re: Who would you consider a B...
Last post by Alan Howe - Yesterday at 11:36
No need to feel guilty. That's the whole point of this forum! As I've said repeatedly, I have my own 'left-field' views on the status of various composers and I no longer feel guilty in expressing them.
I have now played the CD of Scherber's Symphony No 1 about twenty times.   I said above that I thought his starting-point was Bruckner's Ninth, but now I think differently. To my ears, the work inhabits the world of the original versions of Bruckner's Symphonies 1 to 3, the early 1870s. I am highly delighted with the Scherber,which has all the qualities of early Bruckner without the length. I have a guilty feeling that I prefer it to Bruckner itself,possibly because of its accessibilty.
Composers & Music / Karl Svensen (1859–1932)
Last post by tpaloj - Yesterday at 11:05
Karl Svensen (1859–1932)

Karl Svensen was a Norwegian organist and composer.

Svensen studied with Erik Hoff, Ludvig Mathias Lindeman and Johann Peter Emilius Hartmann. He was organist at Østre Fredrikstad church from 1881 to 1885, in Porsgrunn from 1885 to 1887, in St Petri church, Stavanger from 1887 to 1912 and in Stavanger Cathedral from 1912 to 1930.

Svensen wrote, among other things, the singspiel Alhambra to a text by Hans Wiers-Jenssen in 1914, stage music for Guldfjeldet in 1927, orchestral works, choral works (Gloria in excelsis Deo, 1929) and songs (Gud signe Norigs land, Brøite sig rydning, Handi hans far min, Gud signe vårt dyre fedreland).

(translated from: https://snl.no/Karl_Svensen)

Below is a sample from the opening of Alhambra (a singspiel in 3 acts). The Library of Norway have digitized the manuscript materials of this work, including a handwritten libretto. I decided to omit the vocal parts given that with Noteperformer sounds they would not have added anything of substance to this demonstration.

YOUTUBE: https://youtu.be/SvIC69WzBZQ?feature=shared
Recordings & Broadcasts / Re: Huber Piano Quintets
Last post by eschiss1 - Yesterday at 09:20
And Presto has "add CD to basket" and a separate price therefor.