News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Composers & Music / Re: Giovanni Bottesini
Last post by Maury - Today at 02:54
Musical tastes for or against different instruments are difficult to change. I do remember the Gary Karr tours. He was a particular favorite of Japanese record buyers apparently because Japan King issued an extensive series of audiophile recordings of him in the late 80s  and early 90s. I was a high school violinist so I am not as partial to viola and cello solo sound (as opposed to section ensembles which I like unreservedly). A little knowledge is dangerous I suppose. The viola and cello are rather undersized for the range of the instruments and I hear a slight nasality to the sound, particularly higher notes. But most people don't hear them that way. Ironically in spite of its size the double bass has a softer sound without much dynamic projection except on the E string.
Composers & Music / W. S. Huffman
Last post by semloh - Today at 02:12
There have been no posts about W. Spencer Huffman (1921-2005) for over a decade, so I thought I would draw attention to his unequivocally neo-romantic chamber works which can be found at a dedicated YT site. I find all the works there a sheer delight, but especially the piano quintet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCqHQ3-SamM), and I would love to know what UC members think about them.
Last post by semloh - Today at 01:59
Many decades ago, Gary Karr toured Europe displaying his virtuosity on the d-bass, and popularized it as a solo/concerto instrument. Several LPs appeared, mostly of Bottesini, which I purchased, and I must say I rather like them, especially the 2nd concerto, although I am constantly wanting the d-bass to become a 'cello!  ;D
I mean this particular recording - which I found on CD at Amazon/France (because it doesn't appear to be available in physical form in the UK). And I meant what I said: this is one of the most lusciously played and recorded releases of chamber music I have ever heard. It was actually a March release in France.
Last post by Maury - Yesterday at 21:50
We all have our preferences as well as things we like and dislike without being able to explain it too. But unlistenable is a strong term. Is it the sound of the instrument itself that you dislike or something about the melodies if I may ask. For me orchestral cymbals are unlistenable but they don't have much musical structure or melody. :)   
Do you mean the coupling Lekeu+Chausson specifically? Separately, Presto lists at least a half-dozen physical CDs of the Lekeu, and.. something like 2 dozen of the Chausson work? (I'm assuming you don't mean this specific recording, it's just come out.)
Last post by Alan Howe - Yesterday at 21:11
I must admit I've tried Bottesini's music for double bass and found it unlistenable. My loss, no doubt.
re alternative versions of the 3 numbered symphonies, I forget if I've heard Lintu's set, but I think I've heard Foster's set on EMI and a couple of others too. Fortunately this triple of symphonies has had several very good advocates and recordings over the years (despite very, very belated publication, in the case of symphonies 2 and 3, both published around a half-century after they were composed.)
...hard to find here on CD, but available as a download, this is one of the most luscious recordings of chamber music I have ever heard:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9599108--chausson-lekeu

Try it if you don't know the music!
By the way, for those curious to know, Samson plays for just over three hours - longer than The Flying Dutchman, but shorter than Lohengrin; about the same length as The Sicilian Vespers. In other words, it's a 'big listen'.