Question about jewel cases?

Started by BFerrell, Thursday 01 March 2012, 18:58

Previous topic - Next topic

BFerrell

My son tells me there are diffrent qualities of jewel cases. The one used on a new Chandos Cd, say, is better tha a jewel case I purchase at an audio shop. More sturdy. Is this true? I find them all pretty shoddy.

Alan Howe

It's a real problem. I'd certainly like to know how/where to get hold of good quality replacement cases. Does anybody know?

M. Henriksen

I've bought jewel cases at an audio shop once, and they were crap. Broke like glass. There are many companies that makes jewel cases, and I reckon you'll find all sorts of qualities.

You should find most types of jewel cases here:
http://www.jetmedia.co.uk/jewel_cases.htm

Morten

mbhaub

Several years back I was looking into this and found some cd cases made of a softer, flexible plastic. You can't see through it like glass, it's more opaque, but the softer plastic will not break if dropped or crack if pressure is applied. Even though they are "clear", it does make reading some spines (cpo!) harder to read. That recent Raff cd of choral music came in that style. At least the sacd cases that Chandos usually uses are sturdier, but still breakable. Nearly 30 years ago the Vox label had what I still think were the best cases ever: foldable cardboard with the cd on one side, booklet on the other.

nigelkeay

Quote from: mbhaub on Thursday 01 March 2012, 23:32
Nearly 30 years ago the Vox label had what I still think were the best cases ever: foldable cardboard with the cd on one side, booklet on the other.
Sounds like what's called a Digipak these days or perhaps it was the first. I didn't realize they went that far back. There's a version where a printed booklet sits in a slot in the cardboard on the left flap.