David Green/Waghalter on BBC Radio 4

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 11 December 2012, 17:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Tomorrow, Wednesday 12th December, David Green, Waghalter's grandson, will be a guest on Midweek on BBC Radio 4 at 9.00 am. Midweek is basically a chat show rather than specifically an arts programme, but it could nevertheless be interesting to hear - and important publicity for the composer.

Mark Thomas

He's doing a good job with the PR isn't he?

Alan Howe

He's a good chap to know. And we should do all we can to encourage him...

Gareth Vaughan

How remarkable that the BBC should show such interest in an obscure and neglected Polish/German composer, yet show no interest whatsoever in obscure and neglected British composers!

Mark Thomas

Ahh, but this BBC Radio 4, the talk programme, not BBC Radio 3, allegedly the music programme.

Alan Howe

I suspect it was the back-story and the fact that David Green is a living relative that brought about this particular segment of the show. Human interest, in other words. I don't think the music had much to do with it. Still, all publicity is good publicity, right?

eschiss1

Radio 3 still does better by the latter (by both, and by music in general) than practically any classical music broadcaster I know of in the USA does by American or indeed any little-known music. Lose perspective as you like, though!

Gareth Vaughan

You're right, Eric. I must be getting sour in my old age!