Concertos for two pianos and orchestra

Started by Gauk, Sunday 05 May 2013, 12:57

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Alfred George Robyn's in the list? (AKA Nybor...) Neat. Published work or in ms, do you know? (Large-scale orchestral music was not, I think, what he was famous for!...)

(Ah. Though I see he did write a symphony in D minor and a concerto for solo piano and orchestra, too. My bad.)

edurban

'...Robyn, Alfred  1860-11935..."

Very good genes in that family.

David

JimL

Quote from: giles.enders on Monday 13 May 2013, 11:51Bruch, Max  1838-1920 concerto for 2 pianos and orchestra in A flat
Hill, Edward  1872-196   Scherzo for 2 pianos and orchestra1924
The Bruch is in A-flat minor - a key celebrated for underuse.
And the same thing can be said for Hill as can be said for Robyn Alfred, except that he seems to have been descended from PDQ Bach.  Perhaps on his mother's side?  ;D

eschiss1

Alfred George Robyn's dates are 29 April 1860 — 18 October 1935. This is easily checked and double and triple-checked. It was a simple and easily-made typo, sheesh. Use a Dutch-English translator on his Dutch Wikipedia article...
Unfamiliar with Edward Hill- unless it's Edward Burlingame Hill? His dates were 1872-1960 too. Oh. Hrm. Might be! So yeah, 9 September 1872 - 9 July 1960 - see Wikipedia.

giles.enders

About the Bruch concerto:  This concerto was adapted from his Suite for organ and orchestra No.3.  He adapted it for the American Sutro sisters to play, however they rewrote it and copyrighted their version.  There are now two versions of this concerto, Bruch's and theirs.  The Sutro sisters were sharp operators and not particularly trustworthy.

Mark Thomas

Indeed they were. Sharp as knives.

It's some time since I've listened to either work, but Bruch's two piano concerto version is, IMHO, much to be preferred to the original for organ and orchestra, which I remember as a lacklustre, going-though-the-motions affair, at least in the recording which I have. The revisions are quite major I think and Bruch transformed the material in the Piano Concerto to produce a sunny, warmly romantic piece, possibly the best of his last years.