News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Cipriani Potter

Started by albion, Friday 02 April 2010, 08:59

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

The curiously named English composer Cipriani Potter (1792-1871) wrote a considerable number of symphonies during the 1820s and 1830s. Two commercial recordings have been issued:

Symphonies 8 in E flat & 10 in G minor (Milton Keynes CO/ Hilary Davan Wetton) Unicorn-Kanchana DKP(CD) 9091 [long deleted]
Symphony 7 in F [with Sterndale Bennett G minor Symphony, Op.43] (Czech Chamber PO/ Douglas Bostock) ClassicO CLASSCD634 [probably going the same way]

During the mid-1990s the BBC actually broadcast recordings by the Ulster Orchestra conducted by Davan Wetton which included all three of the above along with the Symphonies in C minor (c.1826), in D (1834), another in C minor (1834) and the Overture to 'The Tempest' (1837) together with the revised second movement of the 8th. I treasure the off-air recordings I made at the time (since transferred from rather hissy tape to CD) but the sound quality is not brilliant.

I would love to see this entire series of performances released commercially as a set. Did anyone else hear them at the time or make recordings and what are their opinions of Potter as a symphonist?

Gareth Vaughan

From what I have heard of Potter's symphonic output I would say he was a rather distinguished symphonist. The UK COPAC does not list scores of the F major, D major (except in a 2-piano version) or either of the C minor symphonies broadcast by the BBC - though, obviously the orchestral material for these exists somewhere and the BBC or Davan Whetton would doubtless be able to direct anyone interested to it. RAM, however, has a symphony in B flat by Potter (1839), which would bring the total of his extant symphonies to 7. I think it would be very useful if we could hear a cycle of all these; I have no doubt it would provide much pleasure to members of this forum.

albion

Information moved to new thread in the composers section.

Alan Howe

Gentlemen: a quick reminder. This thread really ought to be in the Composers and Music section as (unfortunately) no new recordings are involved...

Gareth Vaughan

Quite right, Alan. Let's move it.

Alan Howe

Thanks, Gareth.

I see the detailed posting about Potter's extant symphonies has been moved - thanks, Albion. Let's continue the thread there...