News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

FC-Records downloads

Started by alharris, Sunday 28 July 2013, 18:29

Previous topic - Next topic

alharris

I'm happy to have discovered that classicsonline.com is now offering downloads from FC-Records at only $7.99 each. They seem to be adding more every week. Many Somero recordings, such as Bortkiewicz Vols. 1-7, Godard, Rubinstein and Reinhold are already available.  Presumably the final two Bortkiewicz volumes will appear soon.

I've found that the best way to locate these recordings on the website is to click on "Labels" and then on "FC-Records." 

Mark Thomas

Thanks very much. Good to know.

jerfilm

I think I'm missing something.  I went to the CLassicsonline website and can find no mention of FC Records.  Is there some other name that I'm missing?    Thanks.

Jerry

jerfilm

Ah so.  I see where I should have looked.   I forget that the first page of new releases doesn't begin to cover all of the labels that they carry.

Thanks, Al

Jerry

alharris

I'm happy to report that the final volumes of Bortkiewicz Piano Works are now available for download.

Rob H

I was chuffed when I saw that this unknown-to me pianist was recording all of Bortkiewicz's solo output but was disappointed when I bought volume one (the only one recorded at the time) and his disc of Blumenfeld. There are several niggling mistakes on both discs and his playing can be boring. I don't mind mistakes but I prefer them when you are throwing caution to the wind.
In his defense he is not afraid to explore forgotten repertoire.
Rob

alharris

I actually agree that your appraisal of Somero is spot-on. I can only respond that, such is my love of Bortkiewicz' music, that I relish the opportunity to hear it, even in less-than-ideal performances.  Nothing would please me more than to hear artists of the calibre of Sudbin and Volodos play these pieces.

Mark Thomas

I haven't downloaded the Bortkiewicz, Godard and Blumenfeld recordings yet, but will do so when I return home. For some time, I have had a CD of piano pieces by several composers, including an otherwise unavailable work by Raff, which was, of course, my reason for buying it. Based on this CD, I'm no fan of Somero. Firstly, in the Raff he departs from the score. It may be the edition he was using, but somehow I doubt that. Secondly, I find his playing brittle and his phrasing rather literal, there's no individuality to it, so the overall effect, for me at least, is of listening to a very good MIDI recording. That said, I'll still invest because it's the only chance I have of hearing these works.