New and forthcoming Spohr Recordings

Started by John H White, Monday 22 June 2009, 21:56

Previous topic - Next topic

John H White

The June issue of the Spohr Society Newsletter includes a favorable review of Spohr's celebrated Nonet in F Op.31 coupled with the String Sextet in C, Op.140 performed by Camerata Freden on Tacet 172, a label I've never come across before.
The 3rd disc in Howard Shelley's Spohr symphony cycle is due out next February on Hyperion and will include No. 3 in C minor together with No. 6 in G,the"Historical".
Also on the same CD will be a world premiere recording of the overture to Spohr's oratorio. The Fall of Babylon.

BerlinExpat

And now for the complete recording of the Spohr's Fall of Babylon:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/louis-spohr-der-fall-babylons-woo-63/hnum/4168910

If Die letzten Dinge is anything to go by, this should be good.

edurban

Amazing.  Sometimes I pinch myself at the thought of the things that are being recorded these days.

For me, a must buy, even though I'm sure they will be rather decorous Babylonians, in the Spohr manner.  And I can bypass the Shelley disc, as I've switched over to the Griffiths series.

David

jerfilm

The Fall of Babylon

I'm slowly trying to absorb this huge piece lasting nearly 2 hours.   Lovely melodies - it seems to me a mature Spohr- certainly not the classist of his early years.  This piece almost seems opera-like.   If you are at all in to oratorios, this is surely a must buy.  His masterpiece??

Jerry

FBerwald

Add the final two vol.'s 16 & 17 of the Spohr complete string quartets [Marco Polo] to this list . Vol. 17 will conclude the series!

Jimfin

I've just noticed this. I must try the Fall of Babylon. I love the Last Judgement, and am amazed at the fact there seems to be only one recording, when in Victorian times it was almost as popular as Elijah or Messiah.