Main Menu

Raff's Octet

Started by Gareth Vaughan, Wednesday 16 June 2010, 18:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

I'm very glad to hear it.

Kriton

Quote from: chill319 on Thursday 17 June 2010, 23:21
(...) the campus in Lincoln, Nebraska is a lovely place (...)
I'm very sure it's quite lovely. It just didn't make any musicological headlines over here.

(Although those cornhuskies would probably beat every 'football' team over here!)

chill319

Quote from: Kriton on Friday 18 June 2010, 02:35
It just didn't make any musicological headlines over here.
Nor over here, to my knowledge. I was thinking of a couple of good period instrument performers who were active in the late 70s and 80s, when there were not so many period instrument performers. Neither ever spoke to me of Raff's Octet, though (thread penance).

JimL

It's Cornhuskers.  Now the Huskies are to be found at the University of Washington and the University of Connecticut...

By the way you're quite right, Kriton.  Every state in the Union (and the District of Columbia) from Alaska to Rhode Island has at least one state university (or university system) and one or more private universities and colleges.  In my state of California, for example, there is the University of California system with the main campus in Berkeley and of course my local campus, UCLA, and the California State University system, which has several local campuses, including Cal State LA, Cal State Long Beach and Cal State Dominguez Hills.  Plus there are the private schools, such as Stanford, USC, University of La Verne, and the Claremont Colleges.  And numerous 2-year junior colleges offering Associate degrees.  And, of course, intercollegiate sports is a BIG moneymaker, especially football and basketball.  I don't know the situation in Europe, but the athletic departments are very important parts of the American higher educational system.

Alan Howe

OK, enough already! Back to the subject of this thread...

Kriton

Isn't the subject of this thread that a Nebraskan failed to mention the Raff octet in his dissertation, and what the reasons of this grave mistake could be?

I think he may have got hit by the football a time too many-  I actually find discussing the American educational system quite interesting!

Kriton

Quote from: john_boyer on Friday 18 June 2010, 13:59
It appears that the dissertation was about string/wind octets with the double bass.  Raff's doesn't fit this mold (an neither does Mendelssohn's), so its not being mentioned is appropriate.
If you read the whole thread, you would of course have seen that I already made this remark twice, at the beginning. Topic closed, I reckon.

Quote from: john_boyer on Friday 18 June 2010, 13:59
As for college football in Nebraska, reason #21 why I seldom post here anymore is the dogged inability to keep people on topic.
Why be annoyed about chatting on about cultural phenomena, like college football, in a thread that has nothing new to offer to you, anyway? Why do you even bother and read, and then comment?

Are you going to enlighten us with reasons Nos. 1 - 20 on why you don't post anymore? Why not make a topic out of that, for those of us who are interested?

eschiss1

Quote from: john_boyer on Friday 18 June 2010, 17:26
Quote from: Kriton on Friday 18 June 2010, 14:46Why be annoyed about chatting on about cultural phenomena, like college football, in a thread that has nothing new to offer to you, anyway? Why do you even bother and read, and then comment?

Are you going to enlighten us with reasons Nos. 1 - 20 on why you don't post anymore? Why not make a topic out of that, for those of us who are interested?

None of your questions address the topic of this thread, so they must remain unanswered, at least within the confines of this forum.

I never quite got the memo about what the topic of this thread was... Raff's octet, major octets, or other things...
I need to check my mailbox
Eric

Alan Howe

Meanwhile, back on a planet with music...