Bortkiewicz and Lionel Salter in Gramphone

Started by DavidAlcock1000, Saturday 08 August 2015, 09:53

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidAlcock1000

I am not sure if I am allowed to make this request on this site - but it is in the cause of an Unsung Composer! I am researching Bortkiewicz for my MA and I have read of a review (on the Amazon Website) of Lionel Salter's in Gramophone April 1965 where he reviews the Marjorie Mitchell recording of the Piano Concerto No 1. It is a negative review. Finding reviews on Bortkiewicz is difficult. I can't access this review online as I am not a subscriber to the Gramophone Archive - but I wondered whether any member has this review or could e-mail me a copy of the review. I have done other searches through the OU library and so on but I cannot locate the review. I would like to use it to show how the reception of Bortkiewicz's music has changed - how musicological thinking and general taste has also created a context for a more sympathetic reception of Mr B. I would be very grateful if anyone can help me in this matter.
Many thanks
David

Gareth Vaughan

You can access The Gramophone database of reviews for a month for £6. Go to their website.

DavidAlcock1000

Hi Gareth
Many thanks for that advice - I didn't know. Also, a member has offered to send me the review - also much appreciated.
Best wishes
David

musiclover

Any news on the apparent recording from Dutton of the Violin Concerto and Othello by Borkiewicz?

DavidAlcock1000

Hi have not heard anything - checked the website but nothing. Also would be very interesting to find the Olympic scherzo which Bortkiewicz sent to England for the Olympic games in 1948. Was it ever played? He said in his letters that it was going to be played and broadcast. Where is the score - somewhere in England? Strange it was never included at the Proms.
Best wishes
David