Hyperion RPC #80 - Dupont PC #3 and Benoit Symphonic Poem

Started by Sharkkb8, Tuesday 15 October 2019, 02:24

Previous topic - Next topic

4candles

The Conservatoire de Liege also seems to have the Concerto en mi mineur – presumably the 'Concerto symphonique' – although it seems they only have the string parts and full score rather than a full set of parts.

The early concerto mentioned by Fétis is presumably his Op.11, of which only the first movement seems to exist (for e.g. in the British Library) as a reduction/arrangement for piano.

Finally, the other 'concerto' mentioned by Fétis and marked in the liner notes as Op.31, may be an error by Fétis. The opus is actually a 'Grande étude de concert pour le piano. Op. 31' according to the BnF catalogue.

FBerwald

This Concerto symphonique in E minor seems worthy of further investigation considering that Berlioz thought so highly of it... according to the booklet! If the Full score is available then the parts can be made.

Gareth Vaughan

Well sleuthed, 4candles. Yes, that concerto symphonique is intriguing. I wonder if they would copy the full score. I shall ask. Do you have the catalogue number to hand?

4candles

On looking again, it looks like were looking at a manuscript rather than a printed copy.

The various materials are in 'Fonds Dupont, August (60) / Location: BLc 02 (mezzanine) / Cote 0211 / Barcodes 1056006 (carton 11 - string parts) , 1056008 (carton 4b - string parts) and 1056009 (carton 4a - L'harmonie)'. Where's 007 I wonder?!  ;)

Hope that helps.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks, 4candles. I found it. Yes a MS full score. Well, one can but ask.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Auguste Dupont's Piano Concerto No.3 turns out to be a very worthwhile and enjoyable, if anonymous, discovery. The expansive first movement is properly dramatic, although I suspect that its material may prove to be unmemorable, and the finale avoids tail-chasing while still being chock-full of pianistic fireworks, but the slow movement is an absolutely gorgeous gem of a piece, sensuously lyrical and heartfelt. I'd certainly welcome an opportunity to hear more of Dupont's music. Needless to say Howard Shelley gives his all in a very committed performance.