Cantatas by Fritz Stüssi - Live stream, Thursday, 4 March

Started by Wheesht, Tuesday 02 March 2021, 20:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

Two cantatas by the Swiss composer Fritz Stüssi (1874-1923) can be heard in a live stream concert this Thursday, 4 March, at 7.30 pm CET. The concert will be available for a week after the streaming. Details on the website of the Orchester vom See.

Justin

Justin

Alles Stille is wonderful and is performed here for the first time in 100 years. Reminds me of Raff but a bit more gaily and free, and the libretto is by Julius Rodenberg. It looks like it was published in 1902, according to WorldCat's catalog: http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/82265529

Der Frühling has a more dramatic and awe-inspiring flare to it, with a libretto by Bernhard Gottlieb Denzel. I wish the acoustics were a bit better for the listener to appreciate the soloists, however. I am unable to find a composition or publication date. Talk about unsung!

A studio recording would be much deserved for these cantatas, and I am glad they have been unearthed.

Mark Thomas

If these comparatively short works (each under 10 minutes duration) are typical of what Stüssi could do then he wasn't a major talent, but they make for pleasant enough listening. Be warned though, Alan, the soprano in this recording will have you reaching for your off switch!

Alan Howe

Justin

Wheesht

Thanks to both of you for finding that date. Interestingly enough the estate inventory at Zurich Central Library has no dates for either work.

eschiss1

well, that's at best a date terminus or whatever it's called- on the assumption it wasn't revised later. It's a publication date, that is :)

Justin

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Tuesday 09 March 2021, 22:26
Be warned though, Alan, the soprano in this recording will have you reaching for your off switch!

There is an older performance from 2015, by the same orchestra. Different soprano, although only a little better, I fear.

http://orchestervomsee.ch/?page_id=15