MDG Reissues JB Foerster Symphonies as a Complete 3-CD Set

Started by JP, Tuesday 26 July 2022, 12:58

Previous topic - Next topic

JP

Greetings everyone. It may interest board members to note that MDG has re-released its 2009-2010 issues of JB Foerster symphonic recordings as a complete set now obtainable at JPC wholesalers. For those who have yet to purchase these recordings previously, this may serve as an opportunity to place your orders for this compendium.

Josef Bohuslav Foerster (1859-1951)
Symphonien Nr.1-5
+In den Bergen op. 7
Künstler: Osnabrücker Symphonieorchester, Hermann Bäumer
Label: MDG, DDD, 3 CDs
Bestellnummer: 11006252
Erscheinungstermin: 21.7.2022

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/josef-bohuslav-foerster-symphonien-nr-1-5/hnum/11006252

So far no news updates at all from the Naxos or Arco Diva fronts regarding their much eagerly awaited and delayed JBF symphonic cycle collaboration to be coupled alongside JBF's other orchestral compositions.   

Regards and best wishes to one and all.   

Alan Howe

John Boyer

My copy, while otherwise fine in all respects, is inexplicably labeled on the spine and back "Foerster - Complete Orchestral Works".

JP

And here's David Hurwitz long awaited though somewhat none-too-complimentary (in fact rather critical) review, albeit with just a hint of charitable empathy, for this reissued MDG collection.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtkqX_q-j84

hyperdanny

I have to say this time I second DH..I tried, but I just can't stay interested in Foerster's music for more than five minutes. I find it pleasant, but way too bland.
Maybe the Naxos set is going to be little more characterful ?, but the material is what it is.

terry martyn

Once again, I am in  complete agreement with hyperdanny. I have the old Supraphon LP of the Fourth, but have never been able to embrace his earlier symphonies. There are not enough winning Czech folk-melodies and it all sounds (for me) disappointingly post-Wagnerian, without that composer's genius. (I have a similar problem with the earlier symphonies of Magnard, incidentally)

Alan Howe

I can't raise more than two cheers for Foerster's symphonies. I like them, but not much more than that.

John Boyer

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 15 December 2022, 13:08I can't raise more than two cheers for Foerster's symphonies. I like them, but not much more than that.
The same can be said of his chamber music. It's not bad, but it just isn't very interesting.  Anyway, no harm done. I would rather wade through my share of second-tier music on my way to an encounter with a first-class piece rather than miss the opportunity to encounter that work at all.

Alan Howe

He's one of those composers I return to expecting better things this time round, only to be putting the CD back on the shelf with my initial disappointment confirmed.

Whereas Magnard's a different matter altogether...

hyperdanny

I wholeheartedly agree..Magnard is totally on a different level. What wonderful and individual music.