Helvi Leiviskä Piano Concerto (1935)

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 22 August 2022, 09:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Well, you make the point very well. We're all different! For example, I think the opening movement of Brahms 1 lumbers along in rather prosaic fashion - so shoot me down!

eschiss1

I think my father agrees with you on that point, while I partly disagree with you both, fwiw. :)
Though I'd still rather have more recordings of JB's choral music (e.g.) than another cycle of his 4 symphonies, much as I adore them!

Mark Thomas

Quote from: Tapiola on Sunday 05 November 2023, 19:03It never ceases to amaze me how different we react to music. This piano concerto is nothing but incongruous, prosaic, discursive and terribly long for its unmemorable material. Only the third movement sounded slightly more promising with its uplifting character. I'm curious as to why the rest of people on here find it good.
I completely agree, Tuomas, I'm afraid that nothing I've heard by Leiviskä enthuses me, but that matters not one jot. The important thing is that her music is available to be listened to by those who do appreciate it.

As for Brahms' 1st Piano Concerto's opening movement: Alan, I'm shocked to the core! It's magnificent.

eschiss1

I thought he meant Brahms' first symphony, whoops.

Alan Howe

Eric's right: I meant Brahms' 1st symphony. Apologies for my lack of clarity. Anyway, I'm only echoing what the late, great Alan Krueck thought!

Mark Thomas

... and I'm mollified by your clarification, Alan. Not only mollified - I agree with both you and dear old Alan K. It does make the finale of the Symphony all the more glorious, though. Anyway, back to Leiviskä I guess.

Alan Howe

I've always thought that the finale of Brahms' 1st Symphony was something along the lines of a symphonic poem (and a glorious one at that). Clearly he was inspired by the finale of Beethoven's 9th (big tune, etc.), but it does seem to me that, by comparison, the first movement is a bit dour. Anyway, as you say, back to Leiviskä...