News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Andrei Pashchenko

Started by fyrexia, Saturday 25 June 2011, 23:36

Previous topic - Next topic

fyrexia

Hello everyone.
Does anybody know or might have any recording to this obscure soviet composer?
Andrei Pashchenko 1885 - 1972 .
Has written over a dozen operas, 16 Symphonies, Violin Concerto, Cello Concerto, 4 Symphoniettas. 8 Symphonic Pictures, Piano Sonata, over 70 Romances/Songs.
But i cant find anything from this gentleman. Perhaps some one of you might shed some light to this composer?

All best,

Tony

britishcomposer

Gosh, how did all those minor masters manage to write such vast amounts of symphonies, concertos, operas etc and fall into complete oblivion?! I have heard his name but I don't know anything about his reputation. Was he held in respect? Have those works ever been performed?

fyrexia

I have the same question !
Apparently a concerto-like piece was written for the theremin by Andrey Paschenko in the form of his Symphonic Mystery in 1924.

There was another article about young soviet composers during the 1920s and his name appeared!

In the 1920s there were plenty of new opportunities for young composers to meet colleagues of all ages in the many circles, societies and associations which were then in existence. The most interesting, though short-lived of them was the Leningrad Association of Contemporary Music (LASM), which declared itself to be 'a gathering of everyone connected with music today'. The Association was planned as a local branch of the International Society of Contemporary Music (ISCM) and of the central Moscow association. But in fact the LASM acted quite independently. Its founders were people who were already well-placed and even high-ranking in the country's musical life: the musicologists and critics Boris Asafyev (Igor Glebov), Vyacheslav Karatigin, Alexander Ossovsky and Andrey Rimsky-Korsakov, the composers Yuliya Weysberg, Alexander Zhitomirsky, Andrey Paschenko, Yuriy Tyulin, Maximilian Shteinberg, Lyubov Shtreikher-Bikhter and Vladimir Shcherbachev. Their first meeting took place on 15 April 1925 at the home of Rimsky-Korsakov and Weysberg.

britishcomposer

BTW, Pashchenko has been discussed earlier in this forum:

http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,152.0.html

I asked a German musicologist for help. He works on russian and soviet music and has a vast archive of recordings . I am not acquainted with him but maybe he can offer help.

eschiss1

was looking through some first decade of 20th century of HMB (Hofmeisters Monatsberichte) issues yesterday looking for things and saw Pashchenko's name (in German transliteration) in passing a few times, I think. (Yes, now one knows what this particular dork does for a hobby.) Still, died too late to be picked up by IMSLP (except on the US-only server, since he had some things published pre-1923, as just noticed), and haven't seen or heard of any recordings or anything else about him either. Steinberg I have heard of- he appears quite often in Walsh's
Stravinsky. A Creative Spring: Russia and France, 1882-1934. - and heard something by, too - not yet Jarvi's recordings of his first 2 symphonies, I think, but his first string quartet (up at IMSLP, fine piece).
(Edit: re HMB I may be thinking of Johannes Palaschko, not Pashchenko- or perhaps both...) (or Semeon Panchenko (1887-1937))

Eric