News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Rott String Quartet

Started by petershott@btinternet.com, Monday 15 February 2010, 13:07

Previous topic - Next topic

petershott@btinternet.com

Apologies for initiating what will hopefully become a new thread - but having recently discovered the site I'm enthused about the prospect of informed and courteous responses! To the point: after the excitement of a few years ago with the rediscovery of the Hans Rott symphony (however one might finally judge it, an astonishing first symphony by one not yet in their 20s - and now with 4 or so generally excellent commercial recordings) I'm surprised there is little awareness of his string quartet. I chanced upon a middle of the night BBC broadcast - about 30 years ago! - and was enthralled by what seemed wonderful music. I recall a staggeringly beautiful slow movement, and ever since I have yearned to hear the quartet again.
There appears to be a recording by the Mainz Qt on an obscure label called Acousene. Does anyone know this: is it worth some perservance (and probable expense) in tracking it down? Might it be on the short list of some enterprising record company to issue the quartet in a more accessible CD? Fingers tightly crossed - the fate of all who care much for unsung compositions!

A Nyholm

I have the acousence recording of the Rott C minor quartet. It's a fine recording of a fine work, and well worth the effort to order. The slow movement of the quartet is very moving.

Anders

John H White

There is a very favourable review of the CD of Hans Rott's String Quartet in c minor on Acoustic Records in the Autumn 2009 issue of The Chamber Music Journal published by the Cobbett Association. This organisation is well worth joining if you are interested in lesser known chamber music of the Romantic Period. It can be contacted at www,cobbettassociation.org

Marcus

Hello petershott:
Like the previous posts, I have the acousence CD of the Quartet in C, (ACO-CD 20205),and, although I find it a little uneven, I  am glad that it has made the catalogue. Also this disc includes the String Symphony in A major.(3 movemnets).
Unfortunately, Rott left many works as sketches and unfinished. There is a Symphony finale in A major which may have been intended for the above String Symphony. So to, many sketches for chamber works including a String Quintet & String Trio.
An interesting site which you might find helpful is "Hans Rott - Founder of the new Symphony". (www.hans-rott.de/index). The photo of Rott in this site, resembles his friend Mahler ,without the specs.)