Mexican Romantic composer, Arnulfo Miramontes

Started by Aramiarz, Wednesday 17 September 2014, 19:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Aramiarz

Arnulfo Miramontes (1881-1960) as Ponce, studied with the legendary teacher Martin Krause in Stern Conservatory. He wrote the third mexican piano concert (after Castro, Ponce), in 1914. Please listen these interesting preludes!
Prelude 2: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aRlZYPkRNhA
Prelude 4: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0IoWoZ-xDJY

I'm sure that will be very pleasure!! Other Romantic mexican composer for rescue!

Other important teachers in Stern

1854-1864 Hans von Bülow
1855- ?: Ferdinand Laub
1864-1871: Rudolf Radecke
1866-1869: Friedrich Kiel
1867-1878: Eduard Franck
1874-1877: Arnold Krug
1890-1897: Friedrich Gernsheim
1897-1903: Hans Pfitzner
1884-1906(?): Georg von Petersenn
mind. 1896-1911: Martin Krause
1897-1904: Ernst Jedliczka
1898-1905: Ernst Eduard Taubert
1898-1900: David Maurice Levett
1904-1906: Sandra Drouker
1906-1915: Leo Portnoff
1900-1920: Engelbert Humperdinck
1902-1903 and 1911: Arnold Schoenberg

eschiss1

That's an interesting list! (And Mr. Taubert is someone I want to find out a bit more about anyway... but that's a tangent :) )

Rudolf Radecke, by the way, is Robert Radecke (see: recent thread)'s older brother and was himself a composer.  "Radecke, R." in HMB could refer to either of them - a bit confusing...

semloh

Thanks to Aramiarz for drawing our attention to this truly unsung composer, and these truly romantic preludes.  :)

I am surprised by the large number of items by Miramontes on YouTube - and they are indeed a pleasure. Almost nothing seems to have been recorded, and that is a great pity. Maybe this will change with the resurgence of interest in "light music". Despite the nationality of its composer, the Iris - ballet sinfonico could easily be from the "British Light Music" repertoire!

Aramiarz

Dear Semloh
    You are very kind for your words! Nothing is avalaible in recording  :'( :'( :'(, this year we have the project in performance And recording, the piano concert (the third mexican concert behind Castro and Ponce), the Overture Fruhling (Spring), and the Aztec dance (interesting piece inspired in one Aztec legend), I wish soon more rescues as Iris And piano pieces.

Aramiarz

Dear Vicharris&semloh
   Can you note the little interest in Miramontes! The preludes are wonderful pieces And very few people have interest in listen it!!  :'( :'(, inclusive in this forum :'(, I think so that there are prejuice
Versus romantic composers If his country isn't important in the World Cultural... What do You think about it?

semloh

Well, Aramiarz, musical taste is highly personal, of course! I am not an expert in musical form or theory, so I can only say that I like the piano works, they suit my preference for a relaxed romantic style.  However, I think a little more time is required to explore and listen! 

Many people on UC are highly educated in these matters and I hope they will give these a listen and tell us what they think.... I would be surprised and disappointed in there was any question of prejudice.

eschiss1

Country of origin can perhaps have some effects- it seems -something- led, in the end, Nepomuceno's fine string quartets, to choose an example, to being published only fairly recently?...

(I consider too Italian vs. German vs. Russian etc. chamber music at the turn of the 19th century- publishers in one country favoring one kind of music, I think, in one country perhaps allowing a more diverse range of publications -- but it's a very, very complicated story I should expect...)

Aramiarz

Think You for your opinion eschiss1 And Semloh
  One pianist  in México works in performance And recording, importants works for piano by Arnulfo, in the future release 2 cd's. The first Cd contain the 11 romanzas (lieder), And chamber works