News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Mystery Fuchs quartet

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 15 August 2010, 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I'm interested in the music of Robert Fuchs (1847-1927).  Four string quartets are attributed to him, I know of no others, or so I thought.  I was looking through the extensive list of Fuchs works at the online Musiksammlung catalog of the Austrian National Library (http://onb.ac.at/kataloge/index.htm and click Katalog der Musiksammlung ) and found listed a 5th string quartet, dated later than the 1916 fourth in A major.  Misfiled work of another composer? Discovery (erm, probably not?) ... Unfortunately don't have any trips planned to Vienna in the foreseeable future, and not quite sure what to ask the librarians, so not sure what to do about this really.
(If you search under Fuchs, Robert you get 770 hits; it's no. 82. "5. [Streich-] Quartett. [Partitur.] ("Amont, 2.9.1925") " A link with a scan of the title page is there, also. (The scan does say Robert Fuchs, so probably not misfiled. Hrm... maybe incomplete, which would solve the mystery quite entirely of course...) Kf. H. Böck 1953 (another line in this odd card listing) may mean it was published in 1953- not sure; I hadn't heard of it so doubt it was published at all...
Eric

Alan Howe

Grove online lists only four string quartets by Fuchs. A mystery indeed...

chill319

Eric, would you be the author of this Wikipedia text? (if not it might interest you)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ARobert_Fuchs

Unless I was looking at the wrong link on the library site, my impression is that the image you refer to is a handwritten catalog "card" (that would later have been typed or typeset on actual cardstock) rather than a title page. Kf. H. Böck 1953 may refer to the date the MS in question was cataloged at the library and the person responsible. I doubt a librarian would record any information related to provenance on a catalog card. Especially with interruptions due to war, the MS could have been sitting in a carton for years before being cataloged. It would not be especially strange, then, if it went unnoticed and unperformed. Hopefully. philological and music-analytical inspections have been initiated. Meanwhile, I'm choosing to be excited by your discovery.

eschiss1

Quote from: chill319 on Monday 16 August 2010, 05:15
Eric, would you be the author of this Wikipedia text? (if not it might interest you)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ARobert_Fuchs

Unless I was looking at the wrong link on the library site, my impression is that the image you refer to is a handwritten catalog "card" (that would later have been typed or typeset on actual cardstock) rather than a title page. Kf. H. Böck 1953 may refer to the date the MS in question was cataloged at the library and the person responsible. I doubt a librarian would record any information related to provenance on a catalog card. Especially with interruptions due to war, the MS could have been sitting in a carton for years before being cataloged. It would not be especially strange, then, if it went unnoticed and unperformed. Hopefully. philological and music-analytical inspections have been initiated. Meanwhile, I'm choosing to be excited by your discovery.
Yes, that was me- both on IMSLP and Wikipedia I go by Schissel. Hrm. I hope so, and me too.