News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Libor Pešek (1933-2022)

Started by Wheesht, Wednesday 26 October 2022, 09:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

The latest entry on Europadisc's The Spin Doctor informs us that Libor Pešek has died. A great loss.

Alan Howe

He had a long life, though. He was 89.

Wheesht

Thanks for pointing out his age. What I meant was that he made some greatly appreciated recordings of un(der)represented repertoire.

Gareth Vaughan

He did indeed. And was a distinguished conductor. I am very grateful to him.

Alan Howe

His Suk/Asrael Symphony was a fine recording. He largely flew under the radar, I think, but he certainly knew his craft.

eschiss1

I think he may have recorded that symphony a few times, but soon after Gramophone had an article on the Asrael symphony sometime around 1990 I saw the (1991?) recording he made on Virgin Classics which I acquired and enjoyed very much. (I haven't yet heard his followups with the other parts of that polyptych.) (Additionally, some of our downloads are well-conducted by him...)

eschiss1

A quick check on Worldcat reminds me that he also conducted some Spohr concertos for Marco Polo, among many other discs in a very large discography. (Not to forget his live broadcasts for BBC in the 1990s with the BBC Philharmonic, which I have at best mostly not heard but which are listed at CADENSA and seem to have been interesting in character also...)