Rozsa Viola Concerto from Hyperion

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 28 January 2011, 17:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Fancy a modern-ish, but very listenable viola concerto? If you don't know it, I would recommend the terrific new performance of the Rozsa Viola Concerto (1980-4) by Lawrence Power (great name, that!) on Hyperion...

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67687

Pengelli

I'm,(nearly),old enough to remember Tyrone,but he couldn't play the Viola,as far as I know.
Looks enticing,after all this talk about fellow movie composer,Korngold.

petershott@btinternet.com

And I don't dispute that but IMHO the disc contains a terrific plus performance of the Bartok!

Peter

PS Power is very much on the roll given that his recent Hindemith series, again on Hyperion, were a must-buy even if you normally don't quite take to Hindemith.

eschiss1

I personally wouldn't mind if (not that this would belong in the Romantic viola concerto section - though it's Romantic for late Frankel!) Power would turn his attention to the viola concerto by another film and concert composer, Benjamin Frankel. It's been recorded, on cpo, but it is good enough that another view would be welcome, I think. Just my 2c. And glad to see the Hyperion series continuing - I wonder where it will go next? IMSLP has scores or parts of almost 2 dozen mostly classical or Romantic concertos not yet in the series (the Forsyth, recorded in it, they/we have a page for too, though only the solo part is there so far...) of course there's more viola concertos than that :). (Bacewicz's very modern and un-romantic concerto I seem to recall as being, along with her 2-piano concerto, one of the few scores of hers that didn't convince me, but again, digression. I used to play viola- very very poorly indeed, I hasten to add- and retain a fondness for and particular interest in much having to do with the instrument.)
Eric

Alan Howe

febnyc

Yes - from one of the many Koch discs dedicated to the "serious" (as opposed to "Hollywood" - although I consider that just as good) music of Rozsa's.

Haven't listened in a while - and this mention will spur me to take the disc off my shelves.  However, I recall it having two romantically-paced outer movements - with lovely solo viola sounds - and with a spikier-sounding middle movement.

Rozsa is a wonderful composer to consider.

TerraEpon

If only it didn't come coupled with the Bartok....

Will have to stick with the old Koch recording, alas (though I expect Naxos will have its own entry soon enough)

Pengelli

I tend to agree. Although,in my case,I just don't like Bartok. Call me a throwback,but give me Kodaly or Dohnanyi,any day. Or Laszlo Lajtha;another composer this forum got me listening to.
Or Erkel!

Alan Howe

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Friday 28 January 2011, 20:50
When Alan asks 'anyone know the concerto?', that's actually an ambiguous question!

I've got - and very much enjoy - the 2nd Violin Concerto (1956, and if there is indeed a 1st Vn Concerto then as far as I know it has never been recorded), a Piano Concerto (1966), a Cello Concerto (1969), a Concerto for String Orchestra (1943), and a Sinfonia Concertante for Vn and Vc (1958). Lots to explore here for those wanting more Rozsa.

As far as I know there's only one VC. And, as the thread's supposed to be about the Viola Concerto, I was obviously asking about that!!! Nevertheless, thanks for the reminders about Rozsa's other concertante works.

Glazier

(quote) And glad to see the Hyperion series continuing - I wonder where it will go next? IMSLP has scores or parts of almost 2 dozen mostly classical or Romantic concertos not yet in the series (the Forsyth, recorded in it, they/we have a page for too, though only the solo part is there so far...) of course there's more viola concertos than that.

It's wonderful to be able to hear Forsyth's concerto at last; so far he has just been a name, the author of "Orchestration" I read as a youth. Thank you to IMSLP for putting up the score, and to youtube for hosting the recording.

Perhaps someone could suggest to Power and Hyperion that a disc of other late 19thc viola concertos might be worthwhile.

How about Sitt Op 68, and Kreuz, with shorter pieces  such as Sitt concert Piece op 46, Sitt Romance and Ritter's Concert Fantasies op 35, 36 or Manns' Romance Op 81?   

They're probably pretty much of their time, but still a very pleasant listen.