German Music Folder

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

not sure what discography - the title of their page - means in this context, but this performance of the Reizenstein was indeed this year (not a rebroadcast of a performance taped years ago) if I understand right - http://www.nuernbergersymphoniker.de/docs/presse_mediathek_diskografie_br.htm. (realize that this wasn't a question, but in case peoples' records include this information as mine sometimes does. No joy figuring out the movement heading(s) though.)

dafrieze

My thanks for uploading the Reizenstein Violin Concerto, and I certainly don't mean to quibble, Sibyl, but shouldn't it be in the British music folder?  He left Germany in his early 20's and spent the rest of his (admittedly rather short) life in England.  Just asking...

lechner1110

Hi dafrieze,

Thanks to tell about Reizenstein.
  I didn't know his life.  I searched wikipedia....  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Reizenstein
  Certainly, it is describe that Reizenstein is  ' German-born British composer '
  So I should have uploaded it for British music folder.

Thanks,
  Atsushi

Dundonnell

Thanks very much for the Reizenstein upload in any case :)

With the new release of his Piano Concerto No.2 by Dutton.....and the forthcoming upload of his Cantata "Voices of Night" ;D this is quite a month for Reizenstein :)

semloh

Quote from: Lionel Harrsion on Tuesday 18 October 2011, 09:36
Thanks again, britishcomposer for the Jenner Serenade - unalloyed pleasure!  His music is so attractive and well-crafted I can't imagine why it's not standard fare... ???

Hear, hear!  :) :) :)

JimL

FWIW I put in my 2¢ worth and emailed the Minguet Quartet(t) for the movement titles for both the Hiller chamber works they broadcast with Oliver Triendl on WDR3.  Hope one of us hears back from them.

lechner1110

Hello Members.

About last night MDR Figaro broadcast of Senfter's symphony no.4

Sorry! I forgot to record it....  This is my biggest mistake!  I'm depressed... :'(

I hope did anyone recorded this concert , please upload instead of me :-[

Atsushi

eschiss1

Hrm. _Not_ the student cello concerto in D major op.213, this Arnold Ludwig Mendelssohn work... (ah, I see a Concerto in G minor for cello and orchestra listed at Worldcat however. Instrumentation "1.2.2.2.-1.0.0.0.,Str(8.7.6.5.4.), Solo-Vc".)

Also, re the Reizenstein, nice Chaconne-ish finale (or coda to the finale- need to pay more attention here)...
Re Senfter... hopefully another chance sometime if nothing else. Thank you anycase from me.

JimL

Yeah, that's it, Eric.  G minor, with almost a chamber orchestra accompaniment.  Unfortunately, my download had a brief pause with about 3:31 to play.

eschiss1

Re Hofmann's piano quartet op.50 -  Ries' published score of 1880 has Vivace, ma non troppo for the first movement (rather than Vivace con moto). Otherwise the same. Thanks!

lechner1110

Hi Arbuckle,

I would like to express my deepest appreciate for your upload of Senfter :)
  Arigatou!!

Atsushi

eschiss1

Agreed re the Senfter!
Am guessing it's from about 1930 give or take, if only since op.53 and similar works are said to be at Klassika.info.

Sicmu

Yes thx a lot  for the Senfter but are you sure it's not  actually Bruckner's 000 ?  :)

Rainolf

Maybee it would be useful to list the movement titles of the recently uploaded Senfter and Petersen Symphonies:

Senfter 4:
1. Gemäßigt
2. Rasch
3. Sehr ruhig
4. Lebhaft

Petersen 4:
1. Moderato
2. Adagio non troppo
3. Finale: Allegro vivo

eschiss1

ah, thank you. Yes, it is- I know I always like having that information somewhere (e.g. the "lyrics" field in iTunes so that I can read it on my iPod after changing the id3 tag appropriately, sometimes adding movement lengths once I can suss them out too ;) )
As to Bruckner pre-student-sinfonie - gemäßigt, mit feier und nicht schnell (misterioso)? :)
Still unclear whether this is in B-flat or B major... have seen both in various places (even from sources that I would think would be on the lookout for making the B-dur --> B-major mistake that so many make when translating (sigh. I so very much do feel like saying e.g. on IMSLP, if one doesn't know that B-dur is B-flat major, please don't translate- and yes, I know that is unnecessarily harsh).)

Petersen -
sources seem to differ (apologies for weasel-words) on the dates of his 4th symphony, some giving 1933/4, some giving some date in the 1940s. The more convincing ones seem to give a date in the 1930s yes, especially if his works in the 1940s were mostly though not entirely posthumously published, though a bit of research such as I am able to do right now - which is not at all much - suggests either could be argued for a little. I think I'm going to have to go to HMB and see if it was published anyway before 1940 - that would settle it thoroughly (well, mostly; one might be listening to a revision of the published version. Etc. Etc.). Symphony 3, anyway, was published and turns up in Worldcat.