Dutch Music

Started by jerfilm, Tuesday 23 August 2011, 20:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Ah...thanks for that :)

Pity about the Epica, but we might hope for the Symphonietta at least some day. Chandos recorded Nos. 2, 3 and 6 under Matthias Bamert and I have off-air performances of No.1 and 7.

Ilja

Seeing that there's only been one series of performances of the First after 1931, I'd guess that we have the same one ;-). There are a number of performances of the Seventh, from Mengelberg's historical (in more ways than one) performance of November, 1940, through to a recent one helmed by David Porcelijn. I'm rather hoping cpo will pick up the ones left by the Residentie Orkest. That outfit won't be tempted to do more, I'm afraid.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Ilja on Monday 30 January 2012, 16:02
Seeing that there's only been one series of performances of the First after 1931, I'd guess that we have the same one ;-). There are a number of performances of the Seventh, from Mengelberg's historical (in more ways than one) performance of November, 1940, through to a recent one helmed by David Porcelijn. I'm rather hoping cpo will pick up the ones left by the Residentie Orkest. That outfit won't be tempted to do more, I'm afraid.

Yes, it is the Kussmaul 1st and the Porcelijn 7th that I acquired.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Ilja on Monday 30 January 2012, 15:20
As it happens I work in the same building as the KB, so I should have ample opportunity to traverse its labyrinthine corridors and get to the institute. But alas, the workload usually prevents me from doing so. But when you're going to see the Ciaconna, I'm really interested how much the eventual performance version one hears is a reduction of the original.

I believe Mengelberg made drastic cuts, lopping off around 30 minutes... I also remember now that we don't have a full score of the original Ciaconna, but only the instrumental parts - so it could be restored...

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 30 January 2012, 16:30
Yes, it is the Kussmaul 1st and the Porcelijn 7th that I acquired.

I also have the performance by Kees Bakels. I prefer Mengelberg in the first three movements and Porcelijn in the Finale.

JimL

That Dopper Cello Concerto is absolutely in G minor.  I'd sure like to get a look at that score.  It also seems to be in more than 3 movements, although I can't be sure how it's divided up.  It does seem to have a weird form.

eschiss1

There are published scores of the Dopper 7th symphony and Ciaconna gotica, released by Leuckart in 1932 and D. Rahter ca.1923. (I wonder if the Dopper Foundation's recent release - in 2008 - of scores of his "Pallas Athene" string quartet of 1914 and piano and wind sextet of 1909 have resulted in any broadcast performances...)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: JimL on Tuesday 31 January 2012, 01:14
That Dopper Cello Concerto is absolutely in G minor.  I'd sure like to get a look at that score.  It also seems to be in more than 3 movements, although I can't be sure how it's divided up.  It does seem to have a weird form.

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 31 January 2012, 01:21
There are published scores of the Dopper 7th symphony and Ciaconna gotica, released by Leuckart in 1932 and D. Rahter ca.1923. (I wonder if the Dopper Foundation's recent release - in 2008 - of scores of his "Pallas Athene" string quartet of 1914 and piano and wind sextet of 1909 have resulted in any broadcast performances...)

Why not ask Joop Stam, Chairman of the Dopper Foundation, and the Dopper expert par excellence?...  duinen.stam@wxs.nl

JimL

I think I'll give it a shot.  Oh yes, thanks Amphissa Dave for all those Dutch symphonies.  I'll be devouring them for a couple of days.  :)  Does anybody have anything of van Bree?  I believe the VC is still available from a broadcast, and I sure would like to have the Allegro for four string quartets in here.

Ilja

Amphissa, particular thanks for the Hol Second Symphony; I didn't know this version and it's by far the best of his quartet.

cjvinthechair

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 30 January 2012, 14:29
Amphissa,

Many, many thanks for the upload of "Bridge of Dawn" by Joep Franssens :) :)

It is the most gorgeously beautiful music :)

Another composer of whom I had never heard ;D I downloaded the piece, as I have downloaded so many more orchestral works from this site but, from your description of it, decided to try it out right away and am totally captivated by it. It was written only a few years ago too..........marvellous :)
I'm with you, Dundonnell, it's why this site is so marvellous....how would we have had an earthly hope of stumbling across something lovely like this without the guys(& gals) who frequent these pages !

Thanks again for making this available :) :)

I really urge other members to listen to this piece. It is really rather wonderful-in my opinion of course ;D

eschiss1

Someone probably posted this already, but- movement headings for Gilse symphony no.1 (not from the cpo CD but from Utrecht University's copy of the Donemus score, via Worldcat (described as Sinfonie : in F dur : October 1900-12 Juni 1901 (F major?)) -

1. Allegro moderato 2. Adagio non troppo 3. Molto allegro con fuoco 4. Finale (Allegro con spirito).

(The same performance can still be heard on Swedish P2 radio for most of the next month - it was rebroadcast there a few days ago, see here.)

Mark Thomas

Thank you , Ilja, for Smulder's Rash Hasana, an unexpectedly gorgeous piece of rhapsodic  late-romanticism. For some reason I was constantly reminded of the slow movement of Grieg's Piano Concerto, no bad thing in itself, but a little bit perplexing in a Franck-influenced Dutchman of Belgian nationality! Still, a lovely work.

JimL

There's a problem with the DL of van Gilse's Symphony 1.  I click on the download button, and the little wheel spins around, then it stops and the MediaFire logo appears, but no DL window opens.  What gives?

Dundonnell

Quote from: JimL on Tuesday 07 February 2012, 00:37
There's a problem with the DL of van Gilse's Symphony 1.  I click on the download button, and the little wheel spins around, then it stops and the MediaFire logo appears, but no DL window opens.  What gives?

I just downloaded it without a problem :)

JimL

Leave us then try again.