Havergal Brian Gothic Symphony from Hyperion

Started by albion, Saturday 01 October 2011, 09:40

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

I agree that my word 'review' oversells it a bit.  ;)

albion

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on Sunday 27 November 2011, 22:25I agree that my word 'review' oversells it a bit.  ;)

As with many such scribbles, the question arises - why bother to write it in the first place (other than to claim the fee - well, what with the economy in the state it is, journos haven't got fifty-pound notes to rub together)?

:'(

It adds nothing, describes nothing and advocates nothing. Pointless.

>:(

Alan Howe

Shocking though, isn't it? How long do you think it might take to come to terms with a work like the 'Gothic' anyway? It's a piece I first heard thirty-five years or so ago when a friend of a friend of mine from university played us his reel-to-reel recording of the Boult performance. And I have listened to it at intervals ever since as each new performance has come along. And I'm still coming to terms with it. How dare some so-called critic commit such superficial clichés to print. Better to have kept quiet in the face of such music than to have uttered these inanities, methinks.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 27 November 2011, 22:40
Shocking though, isn't it? How long do you think it might take to come to terms with a work like the 'Gothic' anyway? It's a piece I first heard thirty-five years or so ago when a friend of a friend of mine from university played us his reel-to-reel recording of the Boult performance. And I have listened to it at intervals ever since as each new performance has come along. And I'm still coming to terms with it. How dare some so-called critic commit such superficial clichés to print. Better to have kept quiet in the face of such music than to have uttered these inanities, methinks.

Stupidity is often audacious.

albion

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on Sunday 27 November 2011, 22:48Stupidity is often audacious.

Yes, audacious enough to pull the wool over the eyes of a general readership, and ignorant enough to believe its own rhetorical self-importance.

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 27 November 2011, 22:40Better to have kept quiet in the face of such music than to have uttered these inanities, methinks.

Absolutely Alan. She has had (or should have made sure she had, but clearly hasn't) access to at least the Boult and Lenard performances - and thinks that she can then approach such an extended, sophisticated and complicated choral-symphonic work with 'innocent ears'...

:o

Dundonnell

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on Sunday 27 November 2011, 22:48
Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 27 November 2011, 22:40

Stupidity is often audacious.

Sadly, it is also infectious.

J.Z. Herrenberg

If anyone could write a Dunciad today, it would contain many more books than the four Pope could fill.

JollyRoger

I agree completely with the statement about too many tracks.
It reminds me of the way Bernstein's Mahler series on SONY was mutilated into spagetti. I was so annoyed with all the detail I almost sent it back and I never listen to it anymore! Not everyone is a music major.
As far as the CD cover, I've seen a alot more offensive trash hitting the market under the guise of culture. 

eschiss1

hrm... I wasn't a music major and will put in a vote for more tracks rather than fewer (and the Mahler scores, unlike the Brian- oh wait, the Brian too, in the USA now... are available to read with . I read music scores before considering becoming a music major, I continue to read them despite not being one, and I ignore the laws on the books that forbid me, if I follow this line of reasoning right, to do so without a degree. Phtpppttth to those laws, anyway.)

Since listening with a score to hand becomes a lot more convenient with more tracks, I stand by my opinion, then :) (especially when the CD booklet cross-references the score like the DG recording of Abbado's Mahler 7 does. I created such a cross-reference/whatever for the Marco Polo recording of the Brian 1st once the Cranz score was determined to be PD-US and went up on IMSLP...)

JollyRoger

Eric:
I close my eyes and try to immerse myself in the music, anything else is a distraction.
In the Bernstein/Sony/Mahler's case, when movements were excessively divided into subatomic particles, I had to open the player display several times to see where Mahler and I were. Lets suffice to say when when we listen, I'll drive the Chevy and you can have the Lexus.

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 27 November 2011, 23:28
hrm... I wasn't a music major and will put in a vote for more tracks rather than fewer (and the Mahler scores, unlike the Brian- oh wait, the Brian too, in the USA now... are available to read with . I read music scores before considering becoming a music major, I continue to read them despite not being one, and I ignore the laws on the books that forbid me, if I follow this line of reasoning right, to do so without a degree. Phtpppttth to those laws, anyway.)

Since listening with a score to hand becomes a lot more convenient with more tracks, I stand by my opinion, then :) (especially when the CD booklet cross-references the score like the DG recording of Abbado's Mahler 7 does. I created such a cross-reference/whatever for the Marco Polo recording of the Brian 1st once the Cranz score was determined to be PD-US and went up on IMSLP...)

TerraEpon

Quote from: Jimfin on Sunday 27 November 2011, 13:34
Applause is included, I note, but as it's a separate track I can choose not to play it. And anyway, after an event like this (even if 'cleaned up'), the applause is rather worth hearing perhaps once.

Indeed, at 9 minutes that's enough for me to NOT buy this, especially at over $30.

Inferior it may be, I guess I gotta keep the Naxos.

hattoff

Quote from: TerraEpon on Monday 28 November 2011, 06:43
Quote from: Jimfin on Sunday 27 November 2011, 13:34
Applause is included, I note, but as it's a separate track I can choose not to play it. And anyway, after an event like this (even if 'cleaned up'), the applause is rather worth hearing perhaps once.

Indeed, at 9 minutes that's enough for me to NOT buy this, especially at over $30.

I downloaded it from Hyperion (which is possible in a lossless format) for £14.99; quite a saving. I didn't bother to download the applause which I would have deleted anyway.

Something to consider?

Alan Howe

Quote from: TerraEpon on Monday 28 November 2011, 06:43

I've always liked it a lot - but don't tell anyone..........

Gareth Vaughan

Why anyone would want to pay £1.10 for nearly 9 minutes of applause I'm not sure! However, I would say that as an mp3 download the recording strikes me as a bargain, especially since one is not compelled to buy the applause. That said, I don't object to the applause on the CD - I just wouldn't buy it as a download.

albion

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Monday 28 November 2011, 12:05Why anyone would want to pay £1.10 for nearly 9 minutes of applause I'm not sure!

Yes, the concept is bizarre - it should have been offered for free. Still at least it can be hived off the download list.

Amazon sent me notification yesterday to say that my discs have shipped - typically, the price has crept up again, so I'm glad that I pre-ordered.

;D