News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Balfe "Falstaff"

Started by Rob H, Sunday 23 October 2011, 15:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob H

Noticed this on MDT's website of November releases. Sorry if it has already been noted.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/NR_November11_Classical/CD119.htm

edurban

This excellent recording, by far the best yet made of a Balfe opera, was originally only available directly from RTE, so it's great to have it more widely distributed.  Barry Banks is terrific, and the only real flaw is (unfortunately) the Falstaff of Marcel Vanaud, who sounds past it.  A great piece in Balfe's purest Italian style.

David

piano888

I agree wholeheartedly about Barry Banks, but I very much liked Marcel Vanaud; I thought he sounded wonderfully pompous in the role - just what was wanted. I thought Majella Cullagh was superb too - such a rich voice. They all gave the imporession they were itching to sing it on stage, and not just a concert stage.

Alan Howe

I couldn't possibly tolerate Vanaud's singing - his tone is woolly and wobbly in the extreme. Sheer torture in repertoire that needs bel canto singing. A disastrous piece of casting.

albion

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 02 November 2011, 22:15I couldn't possibly tolerate Vanaud's singing - his tone is woolly and wobbly in the extreme. Sheer torture in repertoire that needs bel canto singing. A disastrous piece of casting.

Perhaps a touch too condemnatory, with no element of praise whatsoever for the project as a whole. As edurban very rightly states, this is overall an excellent recording which will (and should) do much to further Balfe's cause. The cast give extremely characterful interpretations of what is an essentially unknown score.

Luckily, many others are more than willing to 'tolerate' Vanaud given the fact that he has gone to the trouble of learning a very complicated part with very little chance of it being a regular repertoire-role on stage.

:)

Alan Howe

It's simply a personal thing. I've never been able to tolerate this sort of poor singing, especially in bel canto repertoire. I'm with John Steane on this: he'd have torn his hair out...

Jimfin

I've really been enjoying the recording and all credit to the company for reviving an opera unperformed since 1838: it must have been a mammoth task and the work well deserves it. I do hope we can get a revival of The Rose of Castile of The Siege of Rochelle sometime.

Alan Howe

I'm happy for all those who can enjoy this recording. It's just not for me, for the reasons given.

piano888

Each to his own! What would be marvellous is for another company to record it; alas, how realistic is it that such operas will be recorded more than once, though. A huge pity - this is such great repertoire for a company wanting to do something distinctly unusual.

Jimfin

It is indeed unlikely for the likes of Balfe and Macfarren at the moment, but we are starting to see some second recordings from the later Victorian composers, especially Stanford: recently we have a second complete symphonic cycle, and the cello and second piano concertos being done again, which is a positive sign. Balfe also has a certain status as a 'national' composer in Ireland (though Stanford seems to be pretty unpopular, since he supported the unionists strongly), which may help... or am I a hopeless dreamer? Personally, I'd rather see one of the other operas like 'The Rose of Castile' recorded before a second Falstaff

edurban

I'm waiting for Satanella!

David

albion

Perhaps the best of Balfe's operatic music is to be found in The Siege of Rochelle (1835), The Rose of Castile (1857), Satanella (1858) and the posthumous Il Talismano (1874). If these four were to be given capable recordings I'm sure that his real stature would immediately be recognised.

I've never really cared for The Bohemian Girl (1843) at all but I really do like Falstaff (1838) which has just the required lightness of touch and illustrates Balfe's masterly handling of the Italian language.

For those who may not be aware, there is an excellent broadcast recording of a rare stand-alone orchestral work by Balfe, the Concert Overture in C (c.1850) in the BMB archive.

:)

Jimfin

Thanks for that. I'd be interested to hear the overture. I recently purchased the Dutton release which included his Cello Sonata. The material is slightly Victorian ballad-like, but it's always interesting to hear composers wearing different hats. Richard Bonynge's "The Power of Love" CD, with all those lovely arias from various Balfe operas, is tantalising and certainly makes "Il Talismano" sound amazing.