Charles-Louis (Karel Lodewijk) Hanssens (Belgium, 1802-71)

Started by eschiss1, Friday 28 October 2011, 03:26

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

new name to me but I see some interesting-seeming works mentioned e.g. a quartet (no.3 in C minor, ca. 40 minutes? ) broadcast over Euroclassic Notturno some years back (March 12 2005), a concertante work republished by MP Höflich Munich recently, that sort of thing- anyone know anything or have heard the quartet, say? Thanks!

mikehopf

mikehopf

My excuse for a catalogue also shows a couple of other works by Hanssens:

Clarinet Concertino
La Romanesca - Fantasy for Orchestra

Accessing them may be a problem and I cannot vouch for sound quality, but if you are prepared to wait a while and are not too fussy about quality, they are yours.

Peter1953

Hanssens was quite a prolific composer and wrote amongst other works 10 concertos and 9 symphonies, but only a few works were published. Difficult to find a publisher or was his music commercially not interesting enough? I've never heard anything by him, but it seems to me worth to hear something. See here.

eschiss1

ah, thanks.
yes, interested and not in a hurry. and the description of that studio recording of the quartet that was broadcast, though it says nothing more than length and movement indications and whatnot, still makes me hope to hear -that- sometime too :) - maybe Klara Continuo will play a movement of it sometime (they have the bad habit of often playing only movements but unlike such stations in the US, are diverse in their selection).

tcutler

eschiss1

The Royal Library of Belgium's (http://www.kbr.be) retrospective catalog has listings for a few more works - a Cantate heroïque: Symphonie (not sure whether full or vocal score), a ballet comique "Le conscrit ou les petits braconniers", and a solo (duet?) for bass and contralto "O Salutaris". One hesitates to prejudge quality in either direction (well, I do.) (Also, as I gather his father was Charles-Louis-Joseph and as his uncle was Charles-Louis the elder (aîné) and as cover pages are not always as descriptive as one likes, one always hopes that people have been cautious about dates and attribution.
Their -main- catalogue has 17 works of his including a string quartet (which may be the one that was performed on BBC, though here it says 2nd quartet- same key though- well, not impossible- some of one of the parts are missing but as it was published hopefully there was another copy to allow for the performance), and rather a bit else including his requiem.