News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Weinberger

Started by HerbieG, Thursday 17 September 2009, 02:13

Previous topic - Next topic

HerbieG

Has anyone here mentioned Jaromir Weinberger?  When I was a kid, I was hooked by the Polka and Fugue from 'Schwanda the Bagpiper' - deliciously noisy upbeat stuff - but was never able to locate anything else by him on record.  As time went by, a few more works trickled through, most significantly two complete modern recordings of 'Schwanda' and historic recordings of the Czech Rhapsody, the Variations on Under the Spreading Chestnut Tree and the Christmas Overture (the latter conducted by Barbirolli with the NY Phil, an unhappy association as I recollect).  This could hardly be described as a feast, and even in these days of independent labels determined to unearth and record everything, Weinberger remains terra incognito so far.

The poor guy had to flee Europe to the USA to escape the Nazis and eventually, in 1967, ended his life with a bottle of aspirin tablets after suffering depression at the neglect of his works and a terminal illness.

What little I have heard convinces me that it's high time that some of his works (other than 'Schwanda') received modern recordings. This is surely prime Naxos or cpo territory.

mbhaub

I concur! So much of his music is completely unknown. I wonder if performance and rental fees have anything to do with it's neglect. Tell us about the Christmas Overture. One orchestra I play with is always looking for something new for the holidays.

Pengelli

What I have heard,besides Schwanda,is beautifully orchestrated.It is also high
time that someone reissued Lambert's recording of the Variations.

Pengelli

It seems odd that Supraphon never recorded Schwanda. Anyone know why. Is
it just because he went to America? Maybe Naxos could do a cd of his music.

Gareth Vaughan

Pengelli

Maybe I wiil. They probably would have done a good job of it. A bit of a mystery
really,considering it is one of Czech opera's most successful opera's ever.

Gareth Vaughan

I meant why not ask Naxos if they'll do a CD of his music? You'll have more luck there perhaps than with Supraphon.

monafam

Do record companies take suggestions like that?  Not that they would do anything about it, but it honestly never entered my mind that I could have an impact (not just an out-of-pocket, after-the-fact expense) on future recordings.

JimL

I have a nagging suspicion that when you see that there are "guests" perusing our Forum a more than negligible number of them aren't merely curious about unsung composers.  There may be a label executive or hireling from Hyperion or Sterling or Naxos sniffing out leads for possible CD projects.  I wish that Jon Frohnen (Naxos) and Jim Ginsburg (Cedille) would sign up with us again.

Pengelli

I think that if they get enough letters and emails they might eventually think,
hm,maybe this IS worth doing.

Pengelli

But I don't think Supraphon will contact me & say,hey,we read your letter and we
have decided to record 'The Outcasts of Poker Flat' (one of his later opera's).

JimL

Was that based on a short story by Bret Harte (I think)?

Pengelli

That's right. Because of course he lived in America. He also composed a Lincoln
Symphony,as might be expected!

Pengelli

Quite frankly,the Sony recording is so good (Lucia Popp,et al),I really don't see how it could be done any better.Okay,it was in German,but who cares.

Pengelli

Talking about Fairy tale opera's; it's time some record company did one of the other Humperdinck opera's. I shall write to cpo NOW!!!