News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Scriabin: the symphonies.

Started by Pengelli, Tuesday 06 October 2009, 17:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengelli

Not exactly unknown or unsung. But does anyone else feel that Scriabin's
symphonies are terribly underated; or am I alone?

Alan Howe

Underrated - and over-the-top. A great wallow.

Pengelli

Ah,there is some one else! Just wondered,really.Particularly the first two which
are very 'hummable'.

Amphissa

I really like his first symphony a lot. It's maybe not for everybody. Not "exciting" enough for a lot of people, I'd imagine. But I like it. Actually, although Scriabin is better known for his later works, I prefer his earlier works. The piano concerto is first rate, IMO.

Alan Howe

I agree. I too much prefer the earlier Scriabin, especially the PC. Although I play my CD of it reasonably often, I'm always caught out when I hear it on the radio - thinking something like 'I didn't know Rachmaninov wrote that...'

Gareth Vaughan

I have always considered Scriabin's 1st Symphony to be a real gem. I knew it before even the (at one time) ubiquitous Poem of Ecstasy. It is full of beautiful tunes and has, to my ears, a glorious finale. Yes, he hasn't quite found his voice and parts of it sound like Rachmaninov (like Alan, I'm often caught out in this respect) and there are even touches of Elgar in some sections, but it is heartfelt, sincere music... And it isn't "bonkers" like Prometheus (wonderful though that is in a completely different way).

Pengelli

I remember being very intrigued,as a teenager, by the curiously 'jazzy' sounding theme that starts off the 2nd movement of Symphony No2. (My favourite).

mbhaub

I've never been able to get into Scriabin, and I've tried and tried. I can't tell you exactly what it is, but I just don't care for any of it. Any recording recommendations that might change my mind are welcome. I've tried the Inbal set, some Jarvi, and the Maazel.

TerraEpon

I love the PC too, though the early romantic symphonies didn't 'do' it for me when I listened (and it was the Classicstoday recommended recording too). Oddly enough, I like his early piano music, but not his late....but do enjoy Poem of Ecstasy and Prometheus. Hmmmm.

Pengelli

Is anyone here familiar with the Golovanov recordings?

Pengelli

Gareth. I agree with you about the 1st. Why can't they do that now and again instead of another Mahler? Or at the Proms! (Some hope?)

Mark Thomas

I'm with Martin on Scriabin: I've tried many times to see what others see in his music and I still don't get it. All I hear is over-coloured, self indulgent excess which always, always overstays its welcome. Like Martin, I'd welcome someone's recommendation of a good performance/recording which might put me on the right road.

Alan Howe

Even the PC, Mark? And what about the lovely early piano music?

Ilja

To be honest, I consider the piano concerto (and the early symphonic poem) and the symphonies (including Promethée and Ecstacy) as more or less separate entities. And am I alone in regarding the whole series of symphony 2 through Promethée as a continually evolving 'work in progress'?

Mark Thomas

Yes, the Piano Concerto too, Alan. He's obviously a blind spot for me.