News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Living Symphonists

Started by Dundonnell, Thursday 15 December 2011, 14:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Quote from: Amphissa on Saturday 24 March 2012, 15:22
I'm not sure why he is commonly referred to a Mahlerian, because I hear very little in his music that sounds anything like Mahler. He certainly lacks the lyricism of Mahler.

Silvestrov 5 seems to me contain a lot of music that looks back to Mahler...

Latvian

QuoteSilvestrov 5 seems to me contain a lot of music that looks back to Mahler...

The music also often has an air of bittersweet nostalgia (Weltschmertz of sorts) that brings Mahler to mind. Also, unexpected shifts from major to minor, from tranquility to foreboding -- mood swings similar to Mahler. Certainly, none of Mahler's lyricism as such, but lovely, tender bits of melody throughout. In coming to grips with the work, I think it helps to sort of stand back and view it (hear it?) as an entirity, or at least in large sections, rather than trying to make too much send of isolated moments. There's a unique sweep to this work, with smaller units making up huge, sweeping phrases. A bit of Pettersson at times, too, I think.

Dundonnell

I couldn't agree more with what you have written, Maris :)

Early Silvestrov-the Silvestrov certainly of at least the first three symphonies-are too avant-garde for me but the 5th Symphony embraces a richly late-romantic soundworld and melds that with modernist musical techniques to produce a work which (I agree) taken as a whole has a strangely alluring and often beautiful appeal.

albion

Symphony No.7 by Arthur Butterworth (b.1923), his latest, will be given its premiere on 28th April 2012 at Huddersfield Town Hall (Huddersfield Philharmonic conducted by Nicholas Smith).

:)

fr8nks

Quote from: Albion on Sunday 25 March 2012, 16:40
Symphony No.7 by Arthur Butterworth (b.1923), his latest, will be given its premiere on 28th April 2012 at Huddersfield Town Hall (Huddersfield Philharmonic conducted by Nicholas Smith).

:)

Will this be a live or delayed broadcast on the internet? If so, where?

albion

Quote from: fr8nks on Sunday 25 March 2012, 18:54Will this be a live or delayed broadcast on the internet? If so, where?

Neither - you'll have to be there to hear this latest offering from one of our foremost symphonic composers, I'm afraid...

:(

... unless Dutton already have it lined up, of course (hopefully with No.6).

;)

Gareth Vaughan

Disgraceful!! The BBC should be there to broadcast this important premiere. Oh, but, sorry - I forgot - this is music by a respected and talented British composer who writes interesting, strongly constructed music, accessible to all, and whose artistic roots are in the pre-Glock era. Well, naturally, let's ignore him - after all, there are plenty of precedents for so doing. We are only the BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on Sunday 25 March 2012, 19:06
Quote from: fr8nks on Sunday 25 March 2012, 18:54Will this be a live or delayed broadcast on the internet? If so, where?

Neither - you'll have to be there to hear this latest offering from one of our foremost symphonic composers, I'm afraid...

:(

... unless Dutton already have it lined up, of course (hopefully with No.6).

;)

....or Dutton could record the 2nd and 3rd symphonies and then the 6th and 7th ;D

Dundonnell

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Sunday 25 March 2012, 19:50
Disgraceful!! The BBC should be there to broadcast this important premiere. Oh, but, sorry - I forgot - this is music by a respected and talented British composer who writes interesting, strongly constructed music, accessible to all, and whose artistic roots are in the pre-Glock era. Well, naturally, let's ignore him - after all, there are plenty of precedents for so doing. We are only the BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation.

Oooh.......bitter ;D

You are of course quite correct...but I fear that the sort of 'young' people the BBC currently employ as Music Producers have probably never heard of Butterworth or regard him as some relic whose music is only played by those wierd folk 'up North'.

Still.......with the BBC now locating to Salford there might be some hope ???  Nah, unlikely, when did the BBC Philharmonic last do a Butterworth symphony ???

britishcomposer

The BBC is not alone in her dismissal of Arthur Butterworth:
I don't remember the source of the following story and so cannot guarantee for its truth. (Was it perhaps Music Web International?)

A few years ago Chandos wanted to commission a bassoon concerto from a British composer for Karen Geoghegan.
Despite the fact that Arthur Butterworth had already written his Summer Music Op. 77, a kind of bassoon concerto, he was asked if he would like to write another one and he accepted.
Then Chandos declared that they wouldn't record a piece by Butterworth and the commission was cancelled. It went to Howard Blake, I think.
Here's a tiny bit of information about the Geoghegan-Blake connection:
http://www.howardblake.com/music/Orchestral/String-Orchestra/840/CONCERTO-FOR-OBOE-AND-STRING-ORCHESTRA.htm

Can anybody confirm this outrageous story?
I hope it is NOT true...  :-\

Edit: part of my memory has come back. Though I still cannot remember the source of the story it was NOT Chandos who commissioned the piece.
As far as I know Chandos doesn't commission pieces at all. Sorry, Chandos, I didn't want to blame you for a 'crime' you didn't commit!  ;)
But as Geoghegan records exclusively for Chandos and Chandos wasn't willing to record Butterworth the commission had to be withdrawn.

Now, who can confirm or refute this story with facts?

eschiss1

possibly 7 years (symphony 5), possibly less...

Alex Bozman

One advantage of living in Huddersfield was that I was able to get along to the Arthur Butterworth premiere, in a well-attended concert at the Town Hall. Butterworth's 7th Symphony is in a single movement of about 20 minutes for normal orchestral forces, with the addition of a third trumpet. Sibelius' 7th is name-checked in the programme note, but this piece is loosely a rondo and based on a 3 note theme developed rhythmically and harmonically. There are some striking passages, notably in the slower section about two thirds into the symphony, with groups of woodwind/brass playing to a background of shimmering strings. A well-argued work, which I would enjoy hearing again.

The composer was at the performance and acknowledged the deserved acclaim. If I'm fortunate to live to my late 80s, it would be good to look as well as Arthur Butterworth .   

Dundonnell

Lucky man...or, rather, men ;D Butterworth to still be, apparently, hale, hearty and composing at 89 years of age and you to have been able to hear the new 7th Symphony :)

It REALLY is incumbent on Dutton to celebrate Butterworth's 90th birthday by recording the rest of his symphonies plus the Violin and Cello Concertos.  We have Symphonies Nos. 1, 4 and 5 on disc. Let's have the others, please, as a tribute to a living British composer whose music is tonal, lyrical, and eminently accessible and attractive but who has been ignored by the London-based critical mafia :(  Yes, he is heavily influenced by his beloved Sibelius, and by Vaughan Williams and Bax......but SO WHAT?

chill319

Although Benjamin Lees died in 2010, his symphonies are still very much alive. They certainly bear repeated hearings, and I'm starting to suspect that they may be a major cycle.

Alan Howe

Quote from: Dundonnell on Wednesday 02 May 2012, 00:56
It REALLY is incumbent on Dutton to celebrate Butterworth's 90th birthday by recording the rest of his symphonies plus the Violin and Cello Concertos. 

No, it isn't! Desirable, certainly - but Dutton don't have any moral responsibility here. They're a commercial company with all sorts of interests and priorities to balance. Let's get a little perspective here...