Main Menu

Musical storms

Started by febnyc, Saturday 14 January 2012, 18:22

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

DANNA - The Ice Storm (film score)
FUCIK - Winter Storm
GUNNING - Storm!
HORNER - The Perfect Storm; Brainstorm (film scores)
HOVHANESS - Storm on Mount Wildcat, Op.2, No.2
SKULTE - Negaiss Pavasarī (A Thunderstorm in Spring) – ballet (1967)
SVIRIDOV - Snow Storm

That's my lot!  :)

Jimfin

Has anyone mentioned the storm movement of Bridge's "The Sea"? And John Adams' "Nixon in China" has a tropical storm

Christopher

John Adams "Nixon in China" - Tropical Storm is electrifying.
Berlioz - Royal Hunt and Storm scene in Les Troyens
Beethoven - Piano Sonata No.17 "Der Sturm"
Mahler - Symphony 5 - movt II "Stürmisch bewegt, mit größter Vehemenz" (so much better than the overplayed Adagio....!)
Tchaikovsky - The Storm overture
Tchaikovksy - The Tempest overture
Shostakovich - Snow Storm music in his soundtrack for "Alone"
Lyapunov - Etude No.6 - Storm, from 12 Etudes d'Execution Trancendante, Op.11
Tormis, Veljo (1930-) - Snowstorm from Ocean
Gliere - Beginning of the Storm from Bronze Horseman suite

and for those into film music, there's an amazing storm in Omen III: The Final Conflict, music by Jerry Goldsmith (scene called "Electric Storm" 

Alan Howe

I agree about Sibelius' Tapiola - has to contain one of the rawest, bleakest storms in all music. Absolutely terrifying.

alberto

Rossini: Final movement of "Sonata a quattro" n.6
             Barber of Seville (a very lightweight temporal, more than a tempest)
Verdi : Rigoletto (last act)
Vivaldi : Four seasons, Summer (Finale)
              Concerto "La tempesta di mare"
J.Strauss jr. "Unter donner und blitz" (of course very far from the starting point of R.Strauss)
Honegger. Prelude pour la Tempete
Perhaps d'Indy in Jour d'etè a la montaigne
Adès The tempest
Martin The tempest
Isn't any storm or tempest in Bax (maybe in November Woods)?
An earthquake ends Haydn Last Seven Words of Christ
"Storm" is titled the finale of Paul Gilson Symphony "The sea"

febnyc

Thanks, one and all for providing so many possibilities for a stormy Sunday here on an unusually-cold (for this so far rather mild winter) but bright and sunny day in the northeast USA.  I have many of the pieces mentioned and will fill up some of the hours listening.

And, PS to Alan - I know and very much like the Langgaard Symphony No.1!  Thank you for reminding me about it.

Mark Thomas

Raff's Orchestral Prelude to The Tempest, although I must admit that the storm at the start is a bit perfunctory.

Jonathan

How about Liszt's Orage from the Annees de Pelerinage?  Great stuff, especially played by Cziffra.

doctorpresume

Lemmen's "Grand Fantasia in E Minor - The Storm" for organ - here's a youtube link to a 1927 recording by Harry Goss-Custard.

Josh

I'm glad someone mentioned Rossini.  I suppose he's more properly a Classical composer, than Romantic, but since it seems almost nothing is talked about lately but 20th century non-Romantics, maybe cheating a little in the other direction is okay!

I just was listening to my all-time favourite non-Mozart opera, La Cenerentola, today, and in the second act, the little "flash storm" thing is superb.  He also had the infamous stormy music from Guillaume Tell, which I suppose in most circles would technically be considered in the early Romantic era (1828).  Rossini is often derisively seen as almost nothing but musical happiness, but I don't think anyone ever did musical storm depictions better.  (I probably consider him the most under-rated "sung" composer.)

vandermolen

There's a great snowstorm in the Suite from Prokofiev's opera 'War and Peace'.

eschiss1

Most under-rated sung composer (apologies for...) I would give to either Dvorak or Haydn... ! :)

kolaboy

I love Sviridov's Snow Storm, but only the first and last movements are particularly stormy  ;D

JimL

Has anybody mentioned the opening of Verdi's Othello, yet?

mbhaub

Glazunov's The Sea certainly has a good sea storm going for it. The finale of Scheherazade has a nice little storm.  Symphonie Fantastique hints at a far off storm in the 3rd movement. But the storm of all storms has to be the last movement of Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite -- especially as Cincinnati recorded it on Telarc with real thunder. I live in Arizona (the Grand Canyon State) and this is the centennial year of Arizona becoming a state. So, in the next two months I have to play contrabassoon in that suite in three separate concerts! That storm really gets on my nerves.