News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

2012 cpo catalogue

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 03 February 2012, 10:54

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Likewise here, for all that he, Kozeluch etc. are outside the orbit of this forum. Several really, really good composers not well-known from that period, he was one of them, and kudos to cpo (and others) for recording their music...

markniew

I got my CPO CD with Tansman's music. I strongly recommend it. Two concertante works have their commercial premier here. Konzertsuck for left hand was composed for Witgenstein - famous of ordering concertos for left hand. The pianist did tot played it however and the piece was not performed up to 2009 or so. Orchestral part has been reconstructed by Piotr Moss - contemporary Polish composer. In Concertino of 1932 one can hear reminiscences of his Pf cto no. 2. By the way it is worth to be persented here in our forum - must check whether I have off radio recording. Cto was issued here ca. 20 years ago on a CD (with Marek drewnowski) that is sold out for years. There exist another recording of ca. 2005 - but cannot recall the label (not Polish one) and performer.

Dundonnell

I am interested to find out that so many members have obviously bought new CPO releases which are not yet available in the United Kingdom. It used to be my practice to buy new releases from the company itself immediately on release. I now wait the extra two months until they come out here in Britain in order to save money.

Can these new releases be obtained anywhere else including any saving ??? Those of us now retired need to conserve our finances ;D ;D

Dundonnell

Quote from: markniew on Saturday 14 April 2012, 11:11
I got my CPO CD with Tansman's music. I strongly recommend it. Two concertante works have their commercial premier here. Konzertsuck for left hand was composed for Witgenstein - famous of ordering concertos for left hand. The pianist did tot played it however and the piece was not performed up to 2009 or so. Orchestral part has been reconstructed by Piotr Moss - contemporary Polish composer. In Concertino of 1932 one can hear reminiscences of his Pf cto no. 2. By the way it is worth to be persented here in our forum - must check whether I have off radio recording. Cto was issued here ca. 20 years ago on a CD (with Marek drewnowski) that is sold out for years. There exist another recording of ca. 2005 - but cannot recall the label (not Polish one) and performer.

The Piano Concerto No.2 is available on the Naive label played by David Greilsammer with the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France/Steven Sloane.

mjkFendrich

Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 14 April 2012, 15:11
I am interested to find out that so many members have obviously bought new CPO releases which are not yet available in the United Kingdom. It used to be my practice to buy new releases from the company itself immediately on release. I now wait the extra two months until they come out here in Britain in order to save money.

Can these new releases be obtained anywhere else including any saving ??? Those of us now retired need to conserve our finances ;D ;D

I've just checked the costs for postage at the cpo website, to UK it is 5.99€. If you order new cpo releases within the first
month after the original German release date from them, you can save some 20% per item, so that should be quite attractive.
This depends - of course - on the exchange rates between € and GBP, which have been quite good for German customers
like me when buying directly from Dutton, Hyperion or Chandos :-). 

Dundonnell

Quote from: mjkFendrich on Saturday 14 April 2012, 23:09
Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 14 April 2012, 15:11

I've just checked the costs for postage at the cpo website, to UK it is 5.99€. If you order new cpo releases within the first
month after the original German release date from them, you can save some 20% per item, so that should be quite attractive.
This depends - of course - on the exchange rates between € and GBP, which have been quite good for German customers
like me when buying directly from Dutton, Hyperion or Chandos :-).

Even with their reduced initial price new CPO releases from the company are £12.36(14.99 euros) + postage.
MDT are selling new CPO cds at £9.95 + less postage obviously.

I can wait ;D

markniew

The Piano Concerto No.2 is available on the Naive label played by David Greilsammer with the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France/Steven Sloane.
[/quote]

Thank you Dundonnell for reminding me the CD with Tansman's pf Cto no. 2. I do not have it and wonder how it could sound? I consider the version with Marek Drewnowski as a amodel. Not strange because it was the first one I heard.
Years ago I exchanged few letters with Aleksander Tansman asking him about the reocrdings of his ctos (that was in late 70s when no. 2 was played here by Drewnowski with one of our orchestras - don't remember which one. He recorded the piece later for Polish Radio archive and it was issued on CD in early 90s). And Tansman replied that in late 20s or early 30s during his all-over-the-world tournee both concertos were recorded in US with himself playing. Perhaps there exist somewhere those disks (even not LPs because it was long before LP era).

britishcomposer

Greilsammer recorded the Concerto also for the WDR (in 2007 I think) with Israel Yinon conducting.

markniew

Quote from: britishcomposer on Sunday 15 April 2012, 21:32
Greilsammer recorded the Concerto also for the WDR (in 2007 I think) with Israel Yinon conducting.

You mean other recording than for Naive? - http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Drilldown?name_id1=127029&name_role1=1&bcorder=1&comp_id=377860

britishcomposer

Yes, the WDR did a - so far - noncommercial recording with Greilsammer. Israel Yinon conducted the Nordwestdeutsche Philharmonie. I recorded in 2007, the Naive recording was released in 2010.
I have a suspicion: couldn't it be possible that cpo considered a co-production with the WDR? They may have waited just a bit too long, so Greilsammer did it with another company...
Well, just a wild speculation!  ;D

markniew

or cpo has another Tansman CD waiting for release with Pf ctos 1 and 2 plus Suite and Partita for 2 pianos and orchestra what would be the complete pf&orch. of Tansman?
What a dreamer I am  :)

eschiss1

I only just noticed the Griffiths-conducted Tansman piano CD cpo does have after looking when you said that. How interesting. And only released last month, it would seem. Neat.

britishcomposer

When Deutschlandradio broadcast the Tansman works which were just released by cpo (I think it was in 2009) they mentioned that these works would soon be available. They didn't talk about another Tansman project. But then, this was Deutschlandradio and the 2nd Concerto was produced by WDR. So, who knows!  :)